Good recipe with no crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachibachi

Reaction score
I forgot to buy Crystal last time I ordered from my LHBS and won't have time to place another order before my next brew day. I'm quite new to brewing and most recipes I've come across need crystal but I was wondering if any of you had any good recipes that didn't? I'm open to trying any style. The ingredients I do have at my disposal are the following (I'm an extract brewer but can do small partial mashes if needed):

LME, Pale malt, Victory, chocolate and flaked oats

EKG, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Amarillo

Safale S-04 and US-05

Thanks!

I'd use that pale LME with a bit of victory. The cascade and amarillo would make a tasty pale ale-ish combo. US-05 all the way.

You can make a lot of beers without crystal. Reading what you have I'd say make an APA or IPA. Go your typical recipe of choice and sub out any crystal with some victory.

Sub victory for crystal and use it as a chance to isolate the victory flavor. Look for ESB and APA recipes that call for a bit of light crystal in the 20-30L range and sub the victory. It will taste different but I would think good. Make an ESB with the EKG/Fuggles/S-04 or APA or IPA with the US-05 and the American hops.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will do as you suggest and make a simple APA which will allow me to really get a feel for the Victory. I am thinking something along the lines of EdWort's house pale ale that has the following grain bill and hop schedule:

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min

Subbing the Munich and crystal for victory. Would this work? If so what quantity would you recommend of Victory?

Many thanks

You can also make a bitter. A special bitter with 6.5lb of LME, 3-4oz Chocolate malt for colour, and then a blend of EKG and Fuggles would be just fine.

Latest posts

Back