Good Inexpensive Scotch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit of a single malt snob, but Laphroaig 10 is pretty hard to beat for around $40 and my absolute favorite is Lagavulin 16 , but at $100 a bottle I save that for special occasions. Ardbeg 10 and Caol Ila 12 are pretty tasty for around $50. If you can't tell already, I'm a big Islay fan.

If you are looking for something a little less peaty, I'd go for Oban or Cardhu. Both are pretty good values for around $50 or less.

Blends are ok with some water and ice, but for a neat sipper, you can't beat a good single malt IMHO.

I'm a bit of a single malt snob, but Laphroaig 10 is pretty hard to beat for around $40 and my absolute favorite is Lagavulin 16 , but at $100 a bottle I save that for special occasions. Ardbeg 10 and Caol Ila 12 are pretty tasty for around $50. If you can't tell already, I'm a big Islay fan.

i'm a massive islay fan as well. have even been to visit and was in heaven. love the various ardbeg bottlings (uigedail is still my top), caol ila 18, lagavulin, and i get the laphroaig cairdeas (is that correct...?) bottling every year, they slap up a different interesting blend from the casks each year and sell it small scale. but for me the best deal in whisky is a speyside- Benriach Curiositas. 10 year, peated- not to islay levels but a nice smoke, an excellent smooth drinker at 10 years, and half the price of the islay big boys. their other bottlings (peated and non-peated, aged in every kind of barrel on the planet) are also excellent; amazing how high the quality is across the very different styles, but prices do go up.

Best blend I've ever had is called Te Bheag. Pretty cheap compared even to The Glenlivet 12yr!
Grant's green (sherry cask) is also very good. A bit lighter and sweeter than most scotches, like Glenlivet 12

Back