good idea for dry hopping and oaking in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PantherCity

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a magnet with a keeper on the top of the corny lid to hang a hop bag or oak cubes? It seems like this would be nice as you would not have to alter any equipment. You could taste it daily from the tap and when you want to remove you bag you just pop the lid and pull the magnet off. Does anyone know if standard ceramic magnets are corrosion resistant enough to put in a keg?

Check these out: Plain Donuts

29 magnets for 6 Bucks

Try the magnet on the lid first to see if it sticks, many stainless steels are only weakly magnetic. If it sticks, it's a fine idea.

You could even try a Rare Earth magnet from a hard drive if you're looking for more pull. Since the magnet won't touch the beer, the corrosiveness might be a small issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that the magnets won't stick to stainless, I was planning on using a "keeper" or another magnet on the outside. But would it corrode or make my beer taste bad. I'm just going to order some and soak it in a beer overnight.

I use a bobber hooked to a muslin bag so that the hops just stay submerged under the beer. It sinks down as I consume the keg, keeping the hop bag away from the bev tube until the end.

Back