Good grains/hops to keep in stock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
I'm transitioning to doing 1 gallon batches instead of 6 gallon so I can brew more often, try some more experimental brews and fill the pipeline with more variety. As I don't have a LHBS It would be cool to have enough supplies on hand to be able to put together a range of beer styles without wearing courier charges each time and without having to plan out brews weeks or months in advance. I'd like to be able to take the yeast out of the fridge, make up a simple recipe in beersmith and brew something.

I was wondering what are good multipurpose malts/hops/yeasts to keep handy? I'm keen to branch out and try new styles, but anything using ale malt as a base would be my preference initially since I have a full sack on hand.

Specialty malts aren't expensive for 1G batches so it wouldn't be a problem to get a half-pound of everything. Hops are a bigger issue since they expire sooner, so I guess what I'm asking is if you had to pick 5-6 hop varieties to brew a range of 1G batches with, which ones would you pick? In terms of beer styles I'm not interested in brewing sours (yet) but anything else is fair game.

Hops I have used so far...
Cascade / Columbus
Fuggles / EKG
Hallertau / Saaz

In my mind this covers a bit of ground between American / British / European styles, but I'd welcome any other versatile choices that should replace any of these.

For yeasts I have US-05, Denny's fav, W34/70 lager and Wyeast Bavarian wheat in the fridge. This seems to be able to cover a range of styles, but I'm not opposed to adding a couple more as required.

I'm definitely willing to work with simpler recipes in order to accommodate this. The beers I have made so far have been great and most use 1-2 hop varieties + 2-4 malts.

I don't have any specifics, but for the hops I see you have a used 2 American hops and 4 Continental. I would add a couple more American. Centennial and Willamette come to mind. Citra is very popular now.

What I do is pick a recipe that I want to do then order more than I need for it. The extra goes to my stock, I have about 20 malts and 30 different hop types. I need to brew more often than I am at present because some of my hops are getting rather old.

I have a spreadsheet that breaks down the amount of each ingredient for all of my recipes. By guesstimating how frequently I brew each in a year, I can forecast my grain and hops needs to allow buying in bulk.

I've developed a bank of favorite yeasts in my fridge that I can make and harvest starters. Hops are purchased by the pound and vacuum sealed in mason jars in my fridge.

I buy sacks of grain too. Munich is in so many recipes that I buy it in 5 or 10# bags. I don't mind subbing Crystal 10 for 20, or the other way. A couple of pounds each of light, medium, and dark crystal will cover many recipes. For hops you have a good start. I now buy what I've used most of in the past, but I think it's a good idea to have different hop flavors available. Maybe some citrus type, some piney, some dank, and some clean bittering. I just got a vacuum sealer and order hops in four ounce packs. Cheaper per ounce, cheaper shipping per ounce.

Back