Good cola receipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I saw that. Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone out there has tried to make cola. It sounds kind of hard.

I found this on the net:

Ingredients you will need:

2 Tablespoons Sugar

1 teaspoon Vanilla

1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon

1 teaspoon Bottled Lime Juice

1 Cup Club Soda

Mix all the ingredients together and pour over ice. The look of the soda will look different than regular cola but the taste is similar. You can vary the lime juice and amount

of sugar to fit your taste.

Not sure now well it will turnout, but it would be nice to find a recipe that uses ingredient that are easier to come by, instead of oils.

Did anyone try newell456's recipe? How did it taste?

I've tried recipes similar to that (with vanilla bean, cinnamon, and lime), but I've never made a cola that tasted much like the real thing. I've even used Kola nut powder, which is actually a little bitter. I think caramel caramel would help (psychologically at least) since they always look so pale.

don't forget the Cocaine!

Actually the Coca-Cola formula contained extracts of the Coca leaf and Cola nut, rather than pure cocaine. While definitely containing cocaine, it's difficult to say exactly how much. It's safe to that it didn't produce *exactly* the same effect as "shooting a line", just as snorting ground-up caffeine pills is going to give you a completely different effect from drinking a cup of coffee. It was also marketed as a medicinal tonic, not a beverage, and in the 1800s "coca extracts" were highly common in such preparations, as it was believed by some that the benefits of the coca leaf outweighed its risks.

The coca leaf actually has a wide and varied history of use in tribal South America. It didn't have the stigma it does today until people figured out how to refine its active ingredient.

snopes.com: Cocaine in Coca-Cola

Back