Good bye Mr Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
Hello! I started out several months ago with a Mr Beer kit. Got tired of the beer being so-so and last week bought the right brewing equipment! I have a question, the kraeusen so far has been very weak, I use 11 grams of safale yeast and the temp is good. got any clues how to get the yeast working a little harder?

Sweet! I think it all depends on the yeast and ingredients. As long as you get your reading on target, have temp control and the beer tastes good....no need to worry about Krausen. After a Friday night of nonsense my buddies little boy is running around saying "Where's the Krausen?" in his Arnold voice.

I too have dumped my Mr. Beer kit. It was good just to prove that yes I can make a beer like drink.

It doesn't matter what your krausen looks like, smells like, how big it is, etc. Appearance, like airlock bubbling or not bubbling, has NO DIRECT CORRELATION on how a beer is fermenting. All krausens, and all fermentations look/behave different, so stressing out on how something looks,or if it acts in a way different from how YOU think it should, doesn't matter. You HAVE KRAUSEN, that means you have fermentation, that's ALL that matters.

And the ONLY way to know what your beer is doing is to take GRAVITY READINGS, don't go by anything else.

Don't concern yourself on how it looks. Don't try to "fix" it, NOTHING IS WRONG. Just pitch your yeast and;

stepaway_copy-15858.jpg

They know what they're doing, more that YOU do, and they don't need our help after pitching. Just to be left alone.

And be careful what you wish for...

The next post might be "my beer exploded"

The yeast used, temperature, recipe etc will determine the amount of krausen.

Now look up information on blow off tubes, find out what it is and use it at the start of every fermentation!

Thanks, my new equipment is due to arrive Tuesday and now it's time for some exceptional beer.

The new equipment came, Northern Brewer deluxe starter kit had almost everything I needed! I started off with a nice simple American wheat brew, we'll see how that goes. Now I'm maybe 90 days into learning to brew and I'm hooked.

Back