Good Bittering Hop to compliment Nelson Sauvin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone looking to make a pale ale tomorrow and I need something to compliment my 1oz of Nelson Sauvin New Zealand hops. Any ideas? I was thinking about bittering with Citra but I really want to have Nelson shine if you will. Maybe a neutral bittering hop like Magnum? Thoughts...

Magnum and Warrior are always good neutral bittering hops. I'm not familiar with the hop you mentioned, so I'd recommend finding it's flavor profile online, and finding a bittering hop (high AA is best) that has some similar flavors associated with it. Even though you're boiling this one for 60 minutes, so very little flavor or aroma will come through, it will still provide some character to the overall hop profile.

If you could post the flavor profile for this hop you have, we may be able to help some more!

Good Luck!

Hey everyone looking to make a pale ale tomorrow and I need something to compliment my 1oz of Nelson Sauvin New Zealand hops. Any ideas? I was thinking about bittering with Citra but I really want to have Nelson shine if you will. Maybe a neutral bittering hop like Magnum? Thoughts...

citra is pretty scarce so i wouldn't waste it in a bittering addition. magnum, warrior, summit afre all good choices.

here is the description of the Nelson Sauvin Hop:

Described during selection as “breathtaking” Nelson Sauvin has the unique ability to impart a distinctive cool climate white wine “fruitiness”. The complexity of the oils profile has seen selectors stretched looking for descriptors to document this unique new world variety.
Brewer’s notes:
A hop that requires judicious application in the brew house, this truly unique dual-purpose variety can be used to produce big punchy Ales as well as subtle yet bitter Lagers. The fruitiness may be a little overpowering for the un-initiated, however those with a penchant for bold hop character will find several applications for this true brewer's hop.

Sounds pretty good!

Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe are similar hops. Simcoe has a high AA%. You could also use the Nelson Sauvin, as they have a high AA% also. I have done this with good results.

I don't think I'd be using Simcoe or Citra for anything other than late additions given how pricey they are getting these days.

Well, people shouldn't pay $30 a pound for Citra or any other hop. People selling hops at such a high price are gouging. Period. Panic buying and hoarding won't help either. I bought Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe for less than $20/lb shipped. I think Simcoe is a good bittering hop. I use both Simcoe and Nelson as bittering hops. It doesn't take a lot of them. I guess if you don't have them, you could use Warrior, CTZ, or Magnum.

If you want your nelson to shine i wouldnt put much citra or simcoe in late,im shure it would be good but maybe would overpower the nelson? I would use a clean bittering hop, then use those late. I really liked one of Summits unchained or 25th anniversery? (cant remember which-think it may be batch06) which had Nelson in it, which im looking forward to try using it myself.I may even try the other hops they used in that as well.

Yeah its between simcoe and magnum. I think I will most likely use magnum BECAUSE I have never brewed with simcoe and I'm really looking to taste the nelson hops. I will most likely bitter with magnum and then do .5oz at 15mins and .5oz around the 5 minute mark. Or should I do .5 at flameout?

Just so you know, you're not going to TASTE any bittering hops in any other way than bittering. The %AA is really the only thing you need to look at for bittering additions, unless you're using a ton. You're boiling off all of the aromatics and there isn't going to be any real hop flavor left after boiling them for 60 minutes. Magnum is a good bittering hop because it's not particularly charismatic, has high %AA, and you probably wouldn't want it as a late addition.

I bottled my Nelson and Sorachi Ace Hopbursted APA 10 days ago. Late additions were N.S. and so was dry hopping. And NO lemon pledge smell or taste from Sorachi. I use Galena quite a bit for neutral kettle bitters.

I've done an all Nelson Sauvin ale as I wanted to get a good feel for the taste of Nelson Sauvin. It was a nice brew, very distinctive/unique hops flavour. Althouth the description given is 'fruity', my description would be 'floral'. But yeah if you have just 1oz you will definately need some other hops in addition.

I am just using the 1oz in a 4 gallon batch for the flavor / aroma addition(s). I am using magnum to bitter

Latest posts

Back