Good beer books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falc0n26001

Reaction score
I just finished Tasting Beer and it was a great book. I'm just getting into homebrewing so I have also read through How to Brew by John Palmer, which was equally awesome. Are there any "classic" beer books or other must-reads besides the ones I mentioned? About beer in general, homebrewing, the science of beer, etc.

I just finished Tasting Beer and it was a great book. I'm just getting into homebrewing so I have also read through How to Brew by John Palmer, which was equally awesome. Are there any "classic" beer books or other must-reads besides the ones I mentioned? About beer in general, homebrewing, the science of beer, etc.
Brewing Better Beer is pretty fantastic for really understanding how to take home-brew to a special place.

If you like Mosher of Tasting Beer fame and your starting to homebrew, Radical Brewing is a great book. Doesn't have all the technical info in How to Brew, but it also doesn't read like it was written by a robot.

If you like Mosher of Tasting Beer fame and your starting to homebrew, Radical Brewing is a great book. Doesn't have all the technical info in How to Brew, but it also doesn't read like it was written by a robot.
Though he gives terrible advice regarding high alpha acid hops. It was clearly written before great dual-purpose hops hit the market.

Though he gives terrible advice regarding high alpha acid hops. It was clearly written before great dual-purpose hops hit the market.
That's a good point; you could make the same point about some of the info in the first editions of How to Brew or the Necronomicon too.

Mitch Steele (Stone Brewing) did a book last year on IPAs. It's an OK read, but the recipe section of the book is pretty solid.

Back