Gonna Brew in Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammons5126

Reaction score
I aint necessarily new to the brewing but I dont have my own equipment yet to make my own. I have a good buddy I believe on here that brews alot and after helping him so much doing it and I have my own place to do it now I am wanting to get started. My question is though what do I need to get started? I would ask him but he is away at work and doesnt answer his phone. Anything or everything yall can tell me would be much appreciated.

I too live in Texas and my biggest issue is temp control, about to buy a chest freezer to turn into a fermentation chamber. Other than that get a starter kit and get going.

They rock, during this time of the year you don't really need it, but one or two month more and it'll be too hot.

What part of Texas, I'm in Houston.

I'm in Houston, too. If jammons is too, or if he visits, i strongly recommend defalco's on the south side of town. i love that place. and their starter kits are pretty nice.

I've actually never been there, I live up north so I go to brew it yourself, really down to earth kinda guys there. They got a killer IPA kit, couldn't get enough of it.

I live in san antonio. we have a great place here to get starter kits and all. I went snooping through there one day. tons of stuff.

Welcome! Also from Houston.... I'm going to have those same temperature issues soon. Been using my master bath tub for now, as it's the coolest room in the house, but I hear ya!

Welcome to the forum. Check out Home Brew Party in town here off of Naco Rd and Judson Rd. They seem to have a majority of their items in stock and can help out a new brewer. The prices aren't bad, and they are willing to give you some tips and pointers. They helped me when I started out, and that's where I picked my first kit up from. Good luck!

thats what it is. home brew party. good place.

i was in there last time i visited san antonio. i go there a lot on business trips, and i always visit the homebrew stores in the towns i go to. the owner seems to be a nice guy, but very anal about his grains. you tell him what you need, and he weighs and gets them for you. he stared the scale down a little, and i swear it backed up a few inches

+1 Home Brew Party. Everyone there has been super helpful. They even have scheduled noob classes that are free if you buy your kit from them. Even if you don't the class is well worth the couple of bucks they charge for it.

in honestly i dont really need the class. i will just go to my buddy and he will teach me everything i need to know. he has been doing it over a year now possibly two. thanks for the advice though.

+1 Home Brew Party. Everyone there has been super helpful. They even have scheduled noob classes that are free if you buy your kit from them. Even if you don't the class is well worth the couple of bucks they charge for it.

Where is it at? I seem to never get to San Antonio, but if I do I'd like to stop in.

Welcome aboard.

DeFalcos on the South side and there used to be a place up in the Woodlands off of 45. That might be the Brew it Yourself place. I bought a fairly reasonable kit from DeFalcos in 2006. Only thing I recall buying extra was a good boil kettle and some bottles.

Or you could order from AHS. I usually go that route. Shipping times aren't bad from Austin.

Where is it at? I seem to never get to San Antonio, but if I do I'd like to stop in.

15150 Nacogdoches Rd. (corner of Nacodoches and Judson)

It is on the NE side of the city in an old shopping area. I think there used to be an Albertson's grocery store that anchored the shopping center. There is a stand alone Blockbuster's in the parking lot and few other shops now.

I have no affiliation with this place. Just a customer.

15150 Nacogdoches Rd. (corner of Nacodoches and Judson)

It is on the NE side of the city in an old shopping area. I think there used to be an Albertson's grocery store that anchored the shopping center. There is a stand alone Blockbuster's in the parking lot and few other shops now.

I have no affiliation with this place. Just a customer.

My buddy (where I would stay in SA when visiting) lives by the airport, so that sounds fairly close (sort of)- or at least not much out of my way coming from the coast. Thanks!

Welcome to HBT. I use a 14 cu. ft. chest freezer in the garage for fermenting. It works great in the summer time keeping my temps where I need them even in 100+ degree days.

In the winter time when temps fall, I will hang a 40 watt vanity light bulb from an extension cord inside and let the controller kick on and off to maintain temp. Works like a charm.

Texas brewing is tough if you do not have proper temp control.

My buddy (where I would stay in SA when visiting) lives by the airport, so that sounds fairly close (sort of)- or at least not much out of my way coming from the coast. Thanks!

Maybe 20 minutes if you miss rush hour. Hour and a half during rush hour. Traffic in this city is getting as bad as Austin and Houston.

You are about 20 minutes out from there, even with traffic. You just have to fly low and avoid 281!

Bitters down to Nacogdoches road and it's another 4-5 miles down.

That interchange is worthless over there, same with I-10/1604, and right now with the interchange they are putting in at 281/1604, it looks like 35 through downtown Austin at 5 o'clock.

You just have to know the backroads! I used to be able to get to Home Brew Party in 20 mins from Bulverde area (281/Overlook) no matter what time of day, but thanks to the construction on Bulverde Road, that thing sometimes becomes a nightmare too.

I am a Dallas brewer and for temp control on the cheap I've had great results with using a party bucket and frozen 2L bottles swapping out.

Back