Golden ipa. Too much vienna??? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Never used vienna or golden promise. Looking for a northeast style ipa. Looking for feed back on this. Too much vienna? Would rather not use any crystal but will if the vienna will clash. Looking for opinions on hops and schedule too. Thanks!

Golden promise ipa
American IPA
All Grain (3.00 gal) ABV: 6.83 %
OG: 1.067 SG FG: 1.015 SG
IBUs: 82.5 IBUs Color: 4.2 SRM
By:
Ingredients

6 lb 8.0 oz - GOLDEN PROMISE
Mash addition (81.3%) - 1.7 SRM

1 lb - Vienna Malt
Mash addition (12.5%) - 3.5 SRM

8.0 oz - Wheat, Flaked
Mash addition (6.3%) - 1.6 SRM

0.70 oz - Magnum
First Wort Addition (58.6 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Citra
Boil 15 min (8.1 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 15 min (5.7 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 10 min (4.2 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Citra
Boil 10 min (5.9 IBUs)

0.50 oz - Citra
Steep 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

0.50 oz - Amarillo Gold
Steep 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

1 pkg - London Ale III
Wyeast Labs #1318

1.00 oz - Citra
Dry Hop 0 days

1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold
Dry Hop 0 days

Grain bill looks fine. A lb of Vienna works in an IPA

I would up,the hops some. everywhere you have .25 make the .5 . How long are you dry hopping for? It shows 0 days. I usually do 4-5 days.

Grain bill looks fine. A lb of Vienna works in an IPA

I would up,the hops some. everywhere you have .25 make the .5 . How long are you dry hopping for? It shows 0 days. I usually do 4-5 days.
dryhop for 5 days. The 0 is default that I didn't change. I hear that gp is a little "sweet" so I didn't want to use crystal in fear of being too sweet for an ipa. I agree with the hop schedule change. I was looking to maximize the hop flavor and aroma potential. .5 oz sounds good. I'm looking for tropicalish but am worried that I may have too much Citra somewhere. Was thinking of using an oz of galaxy somewhere too. Maybe .5oz in boil and .5oz in dryhop?

Have made IPA with about same % of 2-row and Vienna. Rather liked it. My brewing scheduled for early March will be just that. That amount Puts a nice slightly grainy/nutty/malty background in the brew that sis not get in the way of the hops at all.

Have made IPA with about same % of 2-row and Vienna. Rather liked it. My brewing scheduled for early March will be just that. That amount Puts a nice slightly grainy/nutty/malty background in the brew that sis not get in the way of the hops at all.
that type of background is exactly what I am looking for. Now just have to make sure my hops aren't going to be overpowering (citra) this is my new hop schedule (for now)

0.70 oz - Magnum
First Wort Addition (52.8 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Citra
Boil 15 min (7.3 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 15 min (5.2 IBUs)

0.50 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 10 min (7.6 IBUs)

0.50 oz - Citra
Boil 10 min (10.7 IBUs)

0.75 oz - Citra
Steep 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

0.50 oz - Amarillo Gold
Steep 0 min (0.0 IBUs

1.50 oz - Citra
Dry Hop 5 days

1.75 oz - Amarillo Gold
Dry Hop 5 days

Working a little with Chinook as bittering. I find a little Chinook flavor does well with Vienna. I over did it on my first run, but the relationship was there. Will be headed a similar path in March - 2-row, Vienna, Chinook bittering and a little in late boil, Cascade at end of boil, then knockout and dry hop with Amarillo and Citra

Sounds close to what you are doing. If you finish before March 12th, let me know how it turns out.

UPDATE: here is what was settled on and brewed Sat. Changed the hops and schedule. Hoping to get a northeast ish ipa out of this one. Did a 20 min hop stand at 160* with the fo charge. Gravity ended up lower due to poor effiency (my fault) supposed to be 1.070. First dryhop will go in today during active fermentation. Second charge will go into dryhop keg.

Golden promise ipa
American IPA
All Grain (3.50 gal) ABV: 6.26 %
OG: 1.061 SG FG: 1.014 SG
IBUs: 67.3 IBUs Color: 4.4 SRM
By:
Ingredients

8 lb - Golden promise
Mash addition (80.0%) - 1.7 SRM

1 lb - Wheat, Flaked
Mash addition (10.0%) - 1.6 SRM

1 lb 0.0 oz - Vienna Malt
Mash addition (10.0%) - 4.0 SRM

0.80 oz - Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 60 min (67.3 IBUs)

1.00 oz - Galaxy
Steep 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

0.70 oz - Columbus (Tomahawk)
Steep 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

1 pkg - London Ale III
Wyeast Labs #1318

0.50 oz - Columbus (Tomahawk)
Dry Hop 5 days

2.00 oz - Galaxy
Dry Hop 5 days

2.00 oz - Galaxy
Dry Hop 3 days

0.50 oz - Columbus (Tomahawk)
Dry Hop 3 days

Beer came out pretty good. I definatley like the characteristics that the grain bring to it. Not crazy malty but a nice prescence. The bitterness was a bit much I think due to my poor effiency and I need to add a 10 min charge to give some more hop flavor. The aroma was huge so no problem there. I would also lower the sulfate to around 75 and raise the chloride to around 150. Over all not bad but with a few tweaks it will be excellent. Also the appearance is spot on to the look of the northeast IPAs. I attribute this to tons of hops,, yeast choice, and dry hoping toward the end of fermentation.

I had Swish by Bissell Brothers for the first time this weekend and will be working off the ingredients listed on their website. Grain bill includes Golden promise and 2 row. Having just Brewer a beer with GP, do you think the 80% worked well? What are other people's thoughts on split with 2 row? My starting point would be 40% 2 row, 40% GP, 15% flaked oats and 5% light Munich (6L) for color. Hops are mosaic, citra, centennial and Apollo

I had Swish by Bissell Brothers for the first time this weekend and will be working off the ingredients listed on their website. Grain bill includes Golden promise and 2 row. Having just Brewer a beer with GP, do you think the 80% worked well? What are other people's thoughts on split with 2 row? My starting point would be 40% 2 row, 40% GP, 15% flaked oats and 5% light Munich (6L) for color. Hops are mosaic, citra, centennial and Apollo
Yea I enjoyed the gp I think it went really well in the ipa. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I think your grain bill looks good. I would use a pale ale malt to help bring a little more color and maltiness to the bill. 40% pale ale malt 40% gp etc etc

Back