Golden Bonfire Ale - What did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monmouth00

Reaction score
Our town has an annual bonfire to burn all the collected Christmas trees. I'm part of the committee that helps to organize it.

A buddy asked me to brew a beer for the volunteers to sip during cleanup after the event, and since I had just bought some ingredients, I agreed.

I had initially bought ingredients for a SMaSH with Golden Promise and El Dorado. I'm not much of a hoppy beer guy, but for the sake of my friends who don't dig my saisons, hefeweizens, and amber ales, I had wanted to do something light and flavorful.

All went well with the brew, I did a late addition with the El Dorado, and a 180deg whirlpool with another. The beer fermented at about 64deg.

But, in the time that it was fermenting, I decided I was going to try to dry hop for the first time ever. I didn't have any El Dorado left, so I dry hopped with one ounce each of Mosaic and Citra. I let is sit for 72 hours.

I kegged it last night, and damn, it smells great. I was going to call it the Gold Golden SMaSH - brewed with Golden Promise and El Dorado (The Golden in espanol) - but it's no longer a SMaSH because of the other hops I used. Instead, it's to be called the Golden Bonfire.

So how would you characterize this beer? A golden ale? Is it an IPA?

It's got the hops for an IPA, but at only 6.4% ABV, does it fit the profile?

Anyway, it smells good. I think people are going to like it.

Cheers!

Back