Going to give it a whirl !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaug

Reaction score
Greetings,
New to the forum and sorta new to brewing. I tried my hand at it about 15 years ago, back when I thought Bud Light was good :eek: , but now that I drink mostly craft beers I want to try brewing again.

Planning on hitting the local home brew shop and getting the kit etc. Probably start off with the canned recipies and see how it goes ......

Welcome.

Brewing can get addicting. A kit is a good way to start. Most kits have pretty good instructions (until the fermentation timeline). It is a good way to get the process down. Once you are comfortable with the process there are a lot of good recipes ion the recipe data base of this forum.

Good luck with your first brew.

Welcome aboard. Have you read "How to Brew" by John Palmer? There is an early edition available online if you don't want to spend the pesos yet. A lot has been improved in the home brew world in the past 15 years.

Welcome,

I am pretty new myself and this forum has been invaluable! Let us know how your brew goes!

For my first several extract brews I only took an OG an FG reading. I subscribed to the 1 week primary, 2 week secondary, 3 week bottled rule. All my extracts turned out fine. Some members here may disagree but my thoughts were it was better to open the fermenter less and reduce the risk of contamination while I learned the process.

Now that I am doing AG and have a refractometer I find myself taking more readings but that's more so I can justify the purchase of the refractometer to my wife ;)

Welcome back. I imagine if I were a fan of bud light I wouldnt last long in the hobby either. Been brewing like 3 years now, and love the hobby.

welcome to the boards. dont be suprised when in a couple months you have an entire room of your house filled with fermenting beer. just a tip, id recommend getting a kit that doesnt used prehopped malt extract. Cheers :tank:

Well.....I got the next 2 days off so It's Brew Time!

QUESTION........
Follow instructions ( BB oatmeal stout ) as far as ferment time etc.....or is there a set primary time, bottle time that you use?

Thanks

Best indicator is your hydrometer. When the gravity gets to what you expect for FG and is constant over a few days, it is time to bottle. Once in bottles, 3 weeks at 70F is pretty much the rule of thumb.

Well.....I got the next 2 days off so It's Brew Time!

QUESTION........
Follow instructions ( BB oatmeal stout ) as far as ferment time etc.....or is there a set primary time, bottle time that you use?

Thanks

It is best to err on the sid of too long rather than too short of a ferment. I you can stand it let it sit for 3 weeks ( check gravity at 2 1/2) and then if gravity is stable, bottle it up. Let it age for 3 weeks and enjoy.

My first batch is in the primary!!!! BB Oatmeal Stout.....
Everything seemed to go as planned, the steep seemed to go well, the boil went well. Chilled it down in a matter of minutes with the ice water in the sink technique. Poured it in the primary, filled it up to 5 gal., then shook the snot outta it for a few min. Checked OG 1.060. Tossed the yeast in and gave it a good stir. Airlocked it and now I wait.

Thoughts?
Advise?

Back