Going from 2 to 4 taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostforatime

Reaction score
I going from 2 to 4 taps. Do I need a regulator or could I just get 2 more Y splitters? Right now I have a 5# tank with a Y splitter.

For 4 taps, I think I'd pick up a manifold. That's going to save you a rats-nest of tubing and you'll have the ability to turn off hoses you're not using.

You only need secondary regs if you want to have different pressures running at the same time. If you keep your serving pressures the same anyway, no reason to spend the money. I'm just getting into kegging myself but I think you'd burn though that 5 pounder pretty quick running 4 kegs, no?

You don't need another regulator or manifold, but it would be nice.

I went to a manifold when I added two taps. Then I got secondary regulators and split the manifold. Manifolds are more expensive than adding Y's, but that's mainly because of the shutoff & check valves, both of which are very handy when you have four kegs.

I run 4 taps off of one reg through a manifold. a 5# bottle force carbs and feeds 4 cornies without losing more than about 100PSI off of the total charge. I think typically a full tank has about 700PSI.

A "y" splitter or a manifold will work fine...no need for a second regulator as noted since you will likely be running the same psi to both kegs...run to HomeDepot and make up your own manifold with fittings/ball valves so you can shut off each line individually and you'll save a bit of $$$ making it yourself. Good luck.

Back