Going from 1 gallon to continuous brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny42

Reaction score
I'm finally going CB. I purchased a new Scoby with directions that say to use 1 gallon which I have done. It's currently in a 1 gallon vessel. Once that gallon is "ready", what do I do to eventually get it to 2 gallons (the size of my CB vessel)?

I have directions on the CB method, but they are all about having a 2+ gallon vessel. So my questions are these:

Do I simply transfer the entire contents of the 1 gallon in the 2 gallon container? The booch seems ready to bottle.

If so, do I extract a quart or so and replenish with 2 quarts?

Once the (1 gallon + 1 quart) is ready, do I extract 2 quarts, and add back 3 quarts?

And so on until I have my 2 gallon vessel full?

This seems like the likely scenario, but I'm concerned about the extraction/replenishment amounts with each batch. Do these amounts seem OK?

I have the "Big Book of Kombucha" but couldn't find any answers to this, so I'm reaching out to the experts!

I am brand new at this , too; but what I did was start out with the little SCOBY and made a few batches until I had grown more SCOBY, then I moved the starter to a gallon jar and did the same thing. Now, I have a gallon jar and a 1&1/2 gallon jar, both with several SCOBYs in them, and doing continuous brew in both jars. I taste every few days, and the are ready at different times, so then I can flavor and bottle a new batch 1-2 a week.

Back