Go Electric for <$150?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonH

Reaction score
Honestly, Can it be done? Im currently trying to justify going electric. I have read the pros/cons of propane vs. electric etc. BUT I would like to brew in the garage in a small area close/up again the wall and electric is calling my name, the question is, Can it be done for under $150? who has done it? Did you fab your own controller? Post up por favor :) NOTE this is for BIAB style brewing

-Don

edit: I chose the $150 mark as that is the cost of a high quality propane burner as this is my first very own set-up. I hwas using my uncles setup for a few brews while compiling all my equipment which consists of:
-80quart stainless tri-ply Kettle
-Chugger SS cernter inlet pump
-Duda DIesel PLate Chiller P3-23a 30 plate model
-All camlock fittings from brew hardware

Assuming you have a gas rig already (keggles, pumps, etc), going electric shouldn't cost much if you only get the basics.

Dig around this site. Their forum is very helpful.
http://www.stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html
I used one of these controllers and plugged it into my existing Dryer Outlet in my garage.

No fancy pants control panel with flashing lights but a digital wired thermometer can go a long way.
http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Digital-In-Oven-Thermometer-Graphite/dp/B000P6FLOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393219531&sr=8-1&keywords=polder+probe+thermometer

I have 30 Brews on my rig. About 6 after going electric and let me tell you, its worth it. :tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you have a gas rig already (keggles, pumps, etc), going electric shouldn't cost much if you only get the basics.

Dig around this site. Their forum is very helpful.
I used one of these controllers and plugged it into my existing Dryer Outlet in my garage.

No fancy pants control panel with flashing lights but a digital wired thermometer can go a long way.
http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Digital-In-Oven-Thermometer-Graphite/dp/B000P6FLOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393219531&sr=8-1&keywords=polder+probe+thermometer

I have 30 Brews on my rig. About 6 after going electric and let me tell you, its worth it. :tank:

Thanks so much for the reply. I realized I posted this in the incorrect subforum.... DOH!
Why exactly would you say the switch was worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I built my whole control panel including wires to and the elements for $270.... I could have eliminated a lot as I have a timer and three pids with alarms and also two pwm speed controllers and connectors for the 12v dc pumps I use...
I use two 4500w 220v elements.
depending on the cost of wiring in a 220v line with a gfci you can certianly do it cheaper... like with this kit.

I ran a basic 2 heatstick operation for about a year. Turn them on to heat and kill it when you hit your mash temps and transfer to cooler. Very effective and cheap. It worked very well for that intermediate brewing level, but I wanted to do something a little more advanced. Now I have a 50a eherms system and love it. Unless you were able to get many of the parts for free, $150 would be tough.

The most basic question you should answer is are you going 120V or 220V? The second is how you want to put a GCFI in your system?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Balls above is correct. Safety first - GFCI protection is the best investment even though it can eat your entire budget.

I am not sure if it is possible without cutting corners atleast for my build.
My gfci spa panel, 2 elements, element housing and power cables put me well over 150 and none of that is even in my panel.

It can be done for a lot cheaper than a lot of the builds on here but I think 150 is too little. I have a lot more in mine than necessary but I also wanted it to look professional and like the backing/ customer service auber offers.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

I think am close. I have a biab system with a 2000 watt 110v element and a 1500 watt 110v element. I heat my water dough in and put the lid on. Then I wrap with 2 blankets an let it rest for one hour. All I paid for was the elements and wiring. I can tell you that my neighbor has a Blichman burner that I keep pace with.

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

Electric brewing can be as sophisticated or as simple as you choose.

$150 could get you a GFI spa panel, a 4500w element, the wire and fittings to install it in your kettle.

With a 20 gallon pot, assuming 10 gallon batches you could likely just run the element at full power and simply turn it on and off with a rated switch...a bit ghetto but will get you off the propane bottle and you can "improve" your system as you see fit.

This would be a 1 element manual system, of course adding additional elements and controllers will cost more.

While unsophisticated and unpopular amongst those who build elaborate systems, you can size your element to batch size and run 100% without control. Elements are cheap and come in many sizes.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back