Go Colts!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Hey, did anyone see the Super Bowl? Huh... did I see it correctly through my beer goggles, my Colts won... wow, great game! :ban:

Brewpilot

BUMP, I am so glad that the Colts won, this past week I became tired of all of the center controllers spouting propoganda about the Bears winning... I cannot wait to fly on Tuesday ha ha.

Brewpilot

thread_sucks.jpg

You have to admit, it was a great game... most play were only successful because of the rain in the first place.

Brew

Congrats to Peyton Manning. I'm really glad he got a ring. The monkey is officially off his back! Too bad for the Bears, though. Lots of Bears fans in my family, as we have roots in Chicago.

It wasn't a terribly good game, and I'm anything but a Colts fan - but congradulations are due. What's nice is that all the sportswriters will have to scramble for a new angle on the Colts, it's not all about choking in big games anymore. It's got to be especially nice for them, because in a way it validates just how good this team has been for so long; finally cracking through and getting a title seems to give all the other seasons when they were clearly one of the two or three best teams in the league a little more gravity.

Now, as a Pats fan, watching each of the last two Super Bowls; I have no doubt in my mind we would have trampled the Seahawks and the Bears. Losing to the eventual champions gives a little more sheen to the Pats season.

The rain was a big factor. Rex should have had the advantage, having played college ball in Florida and being acclamated to the rain. But you could tell it was a slippery ball - no one could hold on to it.

The Bears biggest failure was the D. They allowed too many runs. I couldn't believe how slow and tired the D looked.

Absolutely. The Colts OWNED the game clock. It was ridiculous. And there were quite a few plays where it was obvious the ball was slick as hell, between fumbles and really bad passes.

Cheesefood said:
The Bears biggest failure was the D. They allowed too many runs. I couldn't believe how slow and tired the D looked.

That was the real shocker, especially at the end. The Colts needed to run, the Bears knew they were going to run, and they were still picking up 10 yards. The Bears just looked defeated at that point, and the Colts were champions.

Hey, props on a great season! Now the question - who's the QB next year? Grossman seemed to finally play himself out of a job, as soon as he let fly that first interception, you knew it was being picked off. The fumbled snap, wet ball or no - you can't do that. Aigh.

Question - I had to stay up until 3am to watch the game and kept falling asleep. I think it was boring to me because I didn't get to see the commercials. Am I a *****?

the_bird said:
That was the real shocker, especially at the end.

No, this is the REAL shocker.

7655~Shocker-Posters.jpg

PostWhoreMc_Bird said:
The Colts needed to run, the Bears knew they were going to run, and they were still picking up 10 yards. The Bears just looked defeated at that point, and the Colts were champions.

Hey, props on a great season! Now the question - who's the QB next year? Grossman seemed to finally play himself out of a job, as soon as he let fly that first interception, you knew it was being picked off. The fumbled snap, wet ball or no - you can't do that. Aigh.

Grossman needs to stay QB. We know he can be REALLY good, they just need to work on consistency. Very few QB's have great rookie years, and even less make it to the Superbowl in their first full year.

Trivia Q: Which QB did the Bears draft the same year that Peyton Manning was drafted?

Cheesefood said:
Grossman needs to stay QB. We know he can be REALLY good, they just need to work on consistency. Very few QB's have great rookie years, and even less make it to the Superbowl in their first full year.
I hope he keeps his job for the Packers' sakes. He's terrible. the Bears had their Super Bowl year in spite of him.

As for the game, statistically speaking, that was a good old fashioned a$$ whooping. I didn't expect that at all. I really thought it was going to be a low-scoring nail-biter. The Bears really did do well to stay in it score-wise considering how they were getting thumped. A bend-but-don't-break kind of D for this one.

Cheesefood said:

Trivia Q: Which QB did the Bears draft the same year that Peyton Manning was drafted?

I'm sure he'll bounce back.
Neil O'Donnell did.:D

I was paging through the play-by-play record on the Super Bowl XLI page and found his interesting entry:

Fourth Quarter
Chicago Bears at 13:38
1-10-CHI38 (11:59) R.Grossman pass deep right intended for M.Muhammad INTERCEPTED by K.Hayden at IND 44. K.Hayden for 56 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by CHI. CHI maintains that it did not draft R.Grossman in the 2003 draft but instead drafted Seneca Wallace, Iowa St. Upheld. (Timeout #2 by CHI at 11:44.)
I really don't think the rain or being a rookie had anything to do with his piss poor play. Here is the draft analysis by ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=7028

Notes: Comes from an affluent family. Has a reputation for not making the greatest decisions off the field.

Positives: Has a quick release and an over-the-top delivery. Has handled pressure situations well in the past. Has a good -- not great -- arm and throws an extremely catchable ball, especially deep. His mechanics -- especially setup and compact release -- are assets. Seems to be aware in the pocket and buys time with his feet. Has football intelligence and the toughness of a pit bull. Also has good mental toughness. Likes to lift with the linemen. Teammates love his self-confidence and bring-it-on attitude. Can get the ball into tight spots because of his intermediate arm strength. Has a burning desire to win.

Negatives: Can be lazy and rubs people the wrong way at times because of his confidence. Likes to party. Got by on natural talent at Florida. When things didn't go well in '02, Grossman was out of sync a lot and made too many off-balance throws. Can escape pressure but is not a threat to tuck and run. Has average overall mechanics. Accuracy down the field is limited, as it is when he throws on the move. Will need to be schooled on what the "football classroom" means. Struggles in new offense weren't entirely related to fresh scheme and changes in his surroundings, but teams will critique his ineffectiveness without Steve Spurrier and the wealth of talent that left for the NFL in 2002. Didn't display great accuracy at his Scouting Combine workout.

Moses Moreno. I had to look it up.

The Colts were the better team on Sunday. It wasn't a great game but it did keep your interest throughout and the Bears were in the game for most of it.I wonder how many more commercials we will have to endure with Manning.

Funny, compare and contrast the 1998 and 1999 drafts. Look at all the dud QB's in 98 and all the stud players in 1999 (And again, look who the Bears got).

Grossman isn't terrible, he's a lot better than some of the greatest QB's were at this point in their career. Grossman needs more time and confidence. He needs to take more hits that don't end in getting hurt. He needs to toughen up a bit or build an even stronger O line. Grossman will be fine in time. After all, he made it to the Superbowl in his first full season.

Cheesefood said:

Cheesefood said:
We should brew a victory beer.

Something very malty...'cuz I ain't bitter.

Looking like it's going to be an IPA? maybe imperial even.

<3 ya Cheese, dont worry even though it's -8f as I type this and a wind chill of -24f if I can get my truck started I'm going to go visit by brothers grave and let him know the result

Pumbaa said:
Looking like it's going to be an IPA? maybe imperial even.

<3 ya Cheese, dont worry even though it's -8f as I type this and a wind chill of -24f if I can get my truck started I'm going to go visit by brothers grave and let him know the result

I'm not bitter. I'm proud of them for making it to the Bowl.

I just thought that this thread sucks. :)

My Jeep was COLD this morning. It had a hard time turning over. I really need to finish cleaning the garage so I can park inside.

The Bears' defense was tired b/c they were on the field practically the entire game!:mad:

I'm still happy with the season; everyone expected that the Colts might be in the SB, while nobody figured on the Bears showing up. And Grossman just needs time. This was really akin to a rookie year for him. I think we'll know for sure whether he's the Bears' "QB of destiny" by early next season.

Props to the Colts. While it was a sloppily played game on both sides, the Colts were clearly the better team in the second half of the game yesterday and they deserve the win and the title.

And, FWIW, IMHO, I think Prince put on the best halftime show in SB hstory.

Ok, I'm here! I wasn't hiding from the abuse, I swear. Just had to got out of town unexpectedly. The Bears didn't play well, obviously. Of course, Grossman is getting the most heat, some deserved but the defense didn't do a whole lot either. I was disappointed but hopefully next year the defense can be a bit more healthy and Grossman will be more experienced.

Last night on my flight from ATL to IND when I made my announcement, I simply said... "Welcome aboard 6459 with service to the home of the world champion Indianapolis Colts!" We had a couple Bears fans, but at least 60 were Colts fans. You win some, you lose some, ask the Bears... how long has it been now???

Brewpilot:rockin:

Latest posts

Back