Go All Grain or Go Home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you should do whatever type of brewing that fits your time/budget/preference. It took me almost three years to switch to AG, and I did it because I wanted a new challenge, not because I wasn't making great beer. I also had the storage space and money to invest in upgrading my equipment. I personally find AG much more enjoyable and fun, but that's just my personal preference.

@ mrmanifesto; Well,if you're brewing them "straight up" yes. That's where I take a different path. Mixing different extracts with different hops & schedules,adding zest or fruit flavors,etc to be brief. I can make it into something other than originally intended. Hence the phrase above my avatar. Not to be stuck up or anything,just sayin...

@ mrmanifesto; Well,if you're brewing them "straight up" yes. That's where I take a different path. Mixing different extracts with different hops & schedules,adding zest or fruit flavors,etc to be brief. I can make it into something other than originally intended. Hence the phrase above my avatar. Not to be stuck up or anything,just sayin...

sure, i'll take that, sounds like you're putting a good twist on things.

I do try to make some good ales from recombining extracts in much the way an AG'r would use different grains to get a certain style. Like APA's,IPA's,et all by using different extracts rather than buying an APA/IPA kit,for example. Different countries put different grains into producing their extracts. So I take advantage of that.
That's my way of putting a new twist on what might otherwise be a ho-hum can of malt. Or bag for that matter.

well...kinda. my point with the "tv dinner" thing wasn't that the ingredients are less fresh, you're just not able to take advantage of them in the same way. with extract, you're locked into what someone else has decided for you. if i walked into the kitchen and someone handed me a bowl of bread dough, told me to slap it into a pan and bake it, did i make bread? sort of. i'm not saying it doesn't take skill to extract brew or that you can't make good beer, just that you're "making it" a lot less than with other kinds of brewing.
When you get down to it, it's all about taste. I've been able to "make" some top quality tasting beers with extract and if I can pull it off in 3-4 hours I am happy:ban:

Yeah,when it comes down to it. Whatever floats your boat. If we like it,& others taste it & agree,then what else need be said? :tank:

I would be willing to bet the person who posted that comment about all grain is better is probably an extract brewer just trying to stir up some funk for the hell of it. Take everything you read on the net with a grain of barley

I would be willing to bet the person who posted that comment about all grain is better is probably an extract brewer just trying to stir up some funk for the hell of it. Take everything you read on the net with a grain of barley

Or with a pinch of malt.

Seems good quality fresh malt extract made me some pretty good extract pilsner and wheat beers. I did notice using out of the same container after opened it seemed the next brews were getting blander than the first few after the purchase.
I like finding the differences of base malts,something you are limited with in extract.I woluldnt hesitate to use it for a partial if i felt like it.

You need to smelt your own stainless steel, form that steel into brew pots, extrude your plastic tubing, blow your own glass carboys. refine your own propane, make your own thermometers, grow your own grain, malt the grain, grow you own hops.....................................................................................

Why do people keep posting these threads. There are hundreds saying the same thing and they go on forever. Summary: you can make good beer from extract, pm, or ag. But ag gives you a little more control. The end

My wife is an outstanding cook. I dabble in it a bit myself. But my favorite scalloped potatoes come from a box with some ham added. It's all what you like.

And the pictures I've seen of Gordon Strong made me think he was a smug arrogant tool. His little kool aid comment proved me right. I won't buy his book. And what kills me is he looks like a guy that in high school spent some time stuffed in lockers.

its a meme

http://bit.ly/vT3oek

catbusiness.gif

-=jason=-

Latest posts

Back