Gnats!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WumpBrewing

Reaction score
I forgot to dispose a blow off bucket a few weeks ago, needless to say there are gnats everywhere! I got rid of the buckets, now they are just laying their gnaty eggs in older beer bottles. Washed those out and now they are trying to cling onto everything and anything that might at one point touched my delicious and precious beer. I've sprayed where they use to be by the blow off buckets, but that only killed a few million. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had gnat issues? It is lame, I know. Thank you!

I believe gnats are attracted to light. If you go to the pest product section of your locale hardware store they have "flea traps". Basically a sticky sheet of paper and a light source. Plug it in at night and turn out all the lights. The next morning it's peppered with hundreds of little corpses.

I recently had a bad gnat problem. They were really bad in the kitchen. What I did was take some cheap beer and pour in 3 smaller canning jars. Then I put some aluminum foil over them. Saran wrap will work as well. Poke holes in whatever you use. Make sure its enough for them to get in but hard for them to get out. Also make sure your area is clean and not sticky. Keep the light on. Also make sure you bleach you drains if in a kitchen or put the stoppers over the drains and make a small bleach water solution in the sink. In a day or 2 you should see most of them in their beer grave. Gnats love beer just like me lol.

I recently had a bad gnat problem. They were really bad in the kitchen. What I did was take some cheap beer and pour in 3 smaller canning jars. Then I put some aluminum foil over them. Saran wrap will work as well. Poke holes in whatever you use. Make sure its enough for them to get in but hard for them to get out. Also make sure your area is clean and not sticky. Keep the light on. Also make sure you bleach you drains if in a kitchen or put the stoppers over the drains and make a small bleach water solution in the sink. In a day or 2 you should see most of them in their beer grave. Gnats love beer just like me lol.

Found many ideas for traps like this online. Some use dishsoap with the attractant to make it more deadly. Some use vinegar, or some other highly odorific liquid to attract them. They all seem to do the trip.

We've had gnats a LOT this summer.

+1 to cleaning the area as thoroughly as you can. If you can, remove trash and recycling from the area and as mentioned, bleach your drains.

No food = no pests

Back