Damned Deer !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've lived here for about 25 years now, and deer have been the bane of my existence in the summer. They do the "graze through", mindlessly cropping down my garden, and I've resorted to everything short of tall fences. My favorite was a cannot I once built that ran on bullseye powder, with an electric fuse to set it off, and a remote control from a cheap toy. An electric window motor, and a laser pointer allowed me to aim it from inside (leg level, just dirt and sand), and a security light told me when they were here....... the light lit in the house, not in the yard. A loud boom and deer scattering everywhere, was a satisfying result, but they soon learned to graze during the day when I wasn't here.......... I taped over the sensor that told the unit that it was night, and wired it to a washing machine valve connected to a rainbird sprinkler........and that worked fairly well. Then I had problems after first frost........ they would dig up my strawberries, and destroy the patch. My solution to that was a fan mounted in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, set on top of a couple of old tires, and a large plastic garbage bag duct taped to the top.... it would inflate and shake menacingly......raring up like a bear... that was quite effective for awhile until one night when I was in town...... My neighbor was in pursuit of a skunk, and went through my yard ........with his 12 gauge...... My system scared the heck out of him and he shredded it with the 12 gauge...... what I wouldn't have given to have had that on tape!!! Amazingly he confessed to me...... a week or so later or I would never have realized what shredded my bag..... A good laugh! Needless to say this is a gun friendly town... of about 8 people...... we all own and use guns.. it's no big deal.
I drifted away from gardening for a number of years, but this year I'm doing hydroponics, and some soil gardening, and the problem is back. I've had to resurrect my security light system........... I shoot all deer on sight with my high powered pellet rifle........enough to hurt, but not kill...... I've live trapped 8 raccoons so far, and let's just say I "relocated" them...... a very effective program.... they never seem to come back ;-) 2 years ago it was 33 for the summer.
Any suggestions on the deer would be appreciated........ I've had them try to chase me out of my own garden! The "final solution" is effective, but frowned upon............didn't the Indians teach the pilgrims to plant a deer under each hill of corn? I don't grow corn, but that sounds like a good idea ;-)

H.W.

I’m lovin’ the cannon idea. Sounds ingenious. My only recommendation outside harvesting, is a dog.

I wish I had a solution to deer, they're hell on my apple trees. A neighbor protects his food plot with an elaborate 4 wire electric fence. Right now I would take all your deer if you could get rid of a porcupine for me. He has killed three 20 ft maple trees in the last week.

Eight-foot high fence of poultry wire. Our friends live north of the city on a wooded lot and that's the only thing that worked. They have nice vegetable gardens and the deer can't touch them. Bury the bottom of the fence to keep the bunnies out, too. However, you won't keep out the raccoons, they can climb anything.

Why not just use the fence like you mentioned in your first sentence? Go with a shorter double fence or an angled fence if an 8-10' fence isn't doable.

Why not just use the fence like you mentioned in your first sentence? Go with a shorter double fence or an angled fence if an 8-10' fence isn't doable.

I dislike fences........ My sprinkler system is up and running as of yesterday......... a new motion detector light (no bulbs). This was a cheap $12 Walmart binks brand........ interestingly it senses day and night out of the box......... I got a surprise when I didn't realize this..... I'm happy with the results so far.

H.W.

Weren't you supposed to be cruising the high seas with your gimbal-mounted brewery by now?

Unfortunately I'm not there yet..... but still working on it......... I won't be brewing, as I've given that up........ for health reasons.

H.W.

Around here, everyone uses deer fencing around their gardens. Basically 8-10 ft plastic netting, some will also put up a hot wire, but most don't. If you don't already have one, you might get a dog, something shepherd or retriever sized will keep the deer away. In my experience, those two things work the best 24/7.
Regards, GF.

I've lived here for about 25 years now, and deer have been the bane of my existence in the summer. They do the "graze through", mindlessly cropping down my garden, and I've resorted to everything short of tall fences. My favorite was a cannot I once built that ran on bullseye powder, with an electric fuse to set it off, and a remote control from a cheap toy. An electric window motor, and a laser pointer allowed me to aim it from inside (leg level, just dirt and sand), and a security light told me when they were here....... the light lit in the house, not in the yard. A loud boom and deer scattering everywhere, was a satisfying result, but they soon learned to graze during the day when I wasn't here.......... I taped over the sensor that told the unit that it was night, and wired it to a washing machine valve connected to a rainbird sprinkler........and that worked fairly well. Then I had problems after first frost........ they would dig up my strawberries, and destroy the patch. My solution to that was a fan mounted in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, set on top of a couple of old tires, and a large plastic garbage bag duct taped to the top.... it would inflate and shake menacingly......raring up like a bear... that was quite effective for awhile until one night when I was in town...... My neighbor was in pursuit of a skunk, and went through my yard ........with his 12 gauge...... My system scared the heck out of him and he shredded it with the 12 gauge...... what I wouldn't have given to have had that on tape!!! Amazingly he confessed to me...... a week or so later or I would never have realized what shredded my bag..... A good laugh! Needless to say this is a gun friendly town... of about 8 people...... we all own and use guns.. it's no big deal.
I drifted away from gardening for a number of years, but this year I'm doing hydroponics, and some soil gardening, and the problem is back. I've had to resurrect my security light system........... I shoot all deer on sight with my high powered pellet rifle........enough to hurt, but not kill...... I've live trapped 8 raccoons so far, and let's just say I "relocated" them...... a very effective program.... they never seem to come back ;-) 2 years ago it was 33 for the summer.
Any suggestions on the deer would be appreciated........ I've had them try to chase me out of my own garden! The "final solution" is effective, but frowned upon............didn't the Indians teach the pilgrims to plant a deer under each hill of corn? I don't grow corn, but that sounds like a good idea ;-)

H.W.
there is a product specifically made for deterring deer and other critters . look in the garden section. also . hot sauce applied on scrap pieces of cloth ribbons hung around the garden . Ive also read that irish spring soap keeps many animals away. drill a hole in it and hang it up somewhere .

Your ungulate problem will continue to grow worse without physical removal of the offending individuals or without a 10 foot fence. With the removal of large predators from the environment, the deer population has exponentially expanded from its historical size. It would be more humane to afford them a quick demise rather than suffering through starvation. I might add that venison is quite tasty and healthier than beef.

Your ungulate problem will continue to grow worse without physical removal of the offending individuals or without a 10 foot fence. With the removal of large predators from the environment, the deer population has exponentially expanded from its historical size. It would be more humane to afford them a quick demise rather than suffering through starvation. I might add that venison is quite tasty and healthier than beef.

OP stated he doesn't like fences, but that's about the only practical thing to keep out the deer, short of shooting them or re-introducing packs of wolves.

You live in deer country, you're going to feed deer, like it or not.

It’s like my grandfather said, “Birds & deer are like the mafia. They’re going to take their 20% and you can’t do a damn thing about it.”

Lots of deer around here rural N.C and they take more than 20%. I finally fenced the yard but had real good luck with 2/3 powdered milk and 1/3 zest soap bars (graded up with a cheese grader). Put in a panty hose foot and tie to bushes/stakes around the garden, wet with a spray bottle to activate. Deer seem to dislike the sour milk smell and I guess the zest soap smells very human. Also a friend of mine used cigarette butts the same way and swore it worked just as good.

Back