Gnats shut down my brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning to brew a week ago but have held off because the house has been invaded by gnats (or fruit flies, etc.). I brew indoors. I think if gnats get into the wort before the fermenter is sealed, it would create a nasty, infected beer. Has anybody else postponed brewing because of gnats?

BTW I have jars of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap set out - they're working well at collecting the gnats. They should be gone soon, I hope.

Have you found the source? That's step one.

SWMBO puts the trimmings from our tomato bushes in the garage garbage and sometimes it gets full of fruit flies. I just change the bag and they go away. Sometimes I leave the empty can outside when I brew, just in case there are any flies lingering around.

I've never read so many fruit fly problems on HBT before this year.

I hate them, I have traps everywhere, meticulous about cleaning and they still manage to find their way out as soon as I open a bucket of beer.

They carry acetobacter, acetobacter likes alcohol!!! It's the worse!!!

Put a drop of dish soap in a bowl. Pour some apple cider vinegar in with it. Cover with saran wrap. Use a tooth pick to poke holes in the saran wrap. You'll have trapped fruit flies within a couple hours.

JonM: I can't find a specific source. Keeping traps around, and sprayed the trash can lid with Off after cleaning it out well.

20grit: Yes - these work well - I'm catching lots of them with the traps.

This is the worst year I can remember for gnats.

This is the worst year I can remember for gnats.

I hear ya on that one. I finally got fed up with them, it was a full blown infestation, that I set off foggers in the house. I decreased their numbers significantly, still have 2-3 show up from time to time they end up dead in the Apple Cider Vinegar/dish soap trap. I'm worried now that I have some mead fermenting in the house they will show back up.

I was having a problem with them too! They killed one of my starters too! I postponed a brew and bottled a previous batch. I use a wallpaper tray to sanitize my racking cane, forgot to dump it back in the bucket. It was full of them in the morning. Appears they like starsan too.

my taps on my beer fridge are excellent at killing those little buggers.

Back