Gnats and Boiling Outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbeckett

Reaction score
While boiling the wort from an extract kit outside on a propane burner, numerous gnats found their way into the boil. I removed all those I saw during the cooling process. If there are some I missed, will this cause problems during fermentation (off flavors, contamination,etc.) Has anyone else experienced this? Any preventative solutions?

Thanks in advance!

I do all my boils outside, I have seen some gnats but never actually noticed any untill after its has conditioned and I am drinking, so I guess I dont know if they got in there during the boil or after I poured them, which I highly doubt, I think it was from the boil, and I have never had any ill effects. Gives it character!

i've been wondering how yall keeps bugs out when so many of yall make your beer outside? just seems like it would be very hard to keep flies and gnats outs

A few bugs during the boil won't hurt. Once the boil is complete, cover it with a towel or foil while chilling.

According to Bear Grylls many bugs are pound for pound the highest protein concentration in the world, so you're beer is healthy too!

I found a one inch beetle in a batch of stout... when I was racking it to the keg!

tasted fine. Beetle Juice stout it was.

Where I live bugs are a way of life. I brew in the garage with the door open, and get mosquitoes, no-see-ums, these really ugly orange flies, and all kinds of other things flying around and probably falling into my boil. If I see them, I remove them. Otherwise......

Then again, I really don't worry about bugs after making blueberry wine and mead last year from berries I picked locally. Had blueberry worms floating everywhere - in the primary, secondary, and beyond. No harm in a few bugs.

Back