Gluten Free Clementine Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
This started out as a variation of this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f240/gluten-free-blood-orange-hefe-181144/

3-ish Gallon recipe.

Extract:
3 lbs BriesSweet Sorghum Syrup (60 min)

Steeping grains:
4.5 oz wet roasted oatmeal, medium
2.25 oz dry roasted oatmeal, light

Additional Fermentables and such:
Flesh of 6 clementines
Zest of 2 Cara Cara oranges
.5 lb honey

Hops/Spices:
.25 oz Hallertauer, pellet 3.8% (60 min)
.25 oz Tettnang, pellet 4.7% (20 min)
.25 oz Tettnang, pellet 4.7% (10 min)
7g cracked coriander (5 min)
1g cracked black pepper (5 min)

Yeast:
1/2 pkg SafBrew Wheat (WB-06)

Steep the oats in 160 degree water for 30 minutes.

Add .5 lb sorghum at beginning of boil.

Steep orange flesh and zest in 1 quart of 160 degree water near beginning of boil. Add honey after 20 minutes of steeping. Add this to the wort at the end of the boil, then chill.

----

I brewed this in January, and bottled mid-february. At bottling time, there was an unpleastantly harsh bitterness, and it seemed really dry. I bottled with 2.8 oz. of cane sugar, to give a fairly high carbonation level, and it was OK when I tried it after a few weeks.

I tried one again tonight. After 2.5 months in the bottle, it's honestly fantastic. The citrus flavor is bright and clear, and very obvious in the nose. It has a decent amount of body, but not a lot of head. It's extremely drinkable. I brew GF for my wife, but I would honestly drink this any time and not think twice about it - it's that good. I've made an extract non-GF wit in the past, and this is honestly as good or better. By far the best GF beer I've ever had.

Back