Global warming is killing me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's 9PM on December 17th here in South Florida. I am in my garage, kegging my latest beer. Meanwhile, it's 80 F and I'm dying! I don't think I have yet to make beer in cool temperatures in the last 2 years.

I am not in Florida (that was last week.............) but I saw that Disney's Typhoon Lagoon is going to be closed tomorrow and Saturday due to "cold temperatures"!

My wish is to be 75-78 degrees all year long, night and day. Unfortunately, the high tomorrow is supposed to be 18F.

The nice thing is, I chilled my wort to 67 degrees easily today when I brewed an 11 gallon batch, just using tap water and my room is cool enough for fermentation without adding anything- so I guess that's a big advantage in brewing!

We're having in the low to mid 50's. Too cool to comfortably brew in the mornings when it's in the 30's. We need it to get back into the 60's again. Maybe sometime in the Spring ( that's 1 Thursday afternoon in early April here in N Texas )

Last week the temp jumped up to 24C (75F) after a nasty overnight storm. Today its 3C (37F). What?

Sounds like North Carolina, USA in the winter, where its been known to change from 75F to below freezing overnight. If you don't like the weather, just wait till tomorrow.:)

I am all about this global warming thing.... 70F days in the midwest in December.... i could get used to this!

It's 9PM on December 17th here in South Florida. I am in my garage, kegging my latest beer. Meanwhile, it's 80 F and I'm dying! I don't think I have yet to make beer in cool temperatures in the last 2 years.

You are dying?

Here it has been 40 degrees C + for the last few days.

Look that temperature up in your Funk & Wagnell's.... Or google.

Luckily a cold German style lager has helped with the cooling.

This is funny. I am south Florida born and raised, and I was just thinking ...
This global warming thing is finally paying off!

Brew Saisons, and relish the fact that you'll not be shoveling snow off your roof any time in the next six months.

I love looking out the window at snow, that's the only attraction it has for me. I'm very happy to have left all that behind.

It was near 70F here a week ago, today it isn't getting out of the 30s.

I'm no big fan of winter (I stopped liking snow when I stopped getting snow days), but it was hard to get in the Christmas spirit when I was raking leaves outside with no jacket on.

woke up to 6-7 inches of snow this morning, and around 27* F temps. Ow ya, and im brewing today and tom. Actually better than when i brewed couple weeks ago, it was in the teens. Gotta love a wood stove in the brew room :)

WP_20151210_20_21_38_Pro.jpg

Good ole el nino...

It's been anywhere from 50-70 degrees here for the past 2 weeks. We get down into the low 40's or high 30's at night for some nights but it's been pretty damn nice. I just wish the days were longer so we could enjoy it more!

The weather is **** here in finland too, even though we are more north than anchorage, we very likely won't have a white christmas this year, and the lack of snow is making it depressingly dark.

Saisons?

Weather has been much milder than normal here in Eastern Ontario, Canada. It's only now started dipping below freezing, and we have no snow on the ground at all.

That said, weather != climate.

We're having in the low to mid 50's. Too cool to comfortably brew in the mornings when it's in the 30's. We need it to get back into the 60's again. Maybe sometime in the Spring ( that's 1 Thursday afternoon in early April here in N Texas )

Nah, 30s are easy to brew and enjoyable. Layers are your friend. My past two brewdays have started out in the teens. It at least warmed up to the 30s by the time I had to chill. I spend most of my time inside anyway besides for heating strike and sparge water. And then the first few minutes of the boil and chilling.

I love this time of year. With the ground water temp I can chill a 5 gal batch to 68 deg in less than 6 minutes.

woke up to 6-7 inches of snow this morning, and around 27* F temps. Ow ya, and im brewing today and tom. Actually better than when i brewed couple weeks ago, it was in the teens. Gotta love a wood stove in the brew room :)

Thought this was a picture of my garage for a minute haha, have a very similar wood stove out there. And it is one of the best things for about half my brew days. **** gets cold in wyoming.

i got one too :) gotta love idaho weather. Its under 30 and snow in the winter, and over 100 and dry for months in the summer

We don't see 100 degrees in the summer all that often, but our humidity is often very close to 100%. It's absolutely brutal when it is 98 degrees, high humidity, and I'm in the garage with a propane burner going. Worst part about brewing IMO.

I would love some cold weather where I can chill my wort to lower than 80 degrees.

We don't see 100 degrees in the summer all that often, but our humidity is often very close to 100%. It's absolutely brutal when it is 98 degrees, high humidity, and I'm in the garage with a propane burner going. Worst part about brewing IMO.

I would love some cold weather where I can chill my wort to lower than 80 degrees.

yea thats one nice thing I like about living in the cold. Water is always cool out of the faucet. No need for ice or anything. Ground water is low 50s in the summer and low 40s in the winter.

You gotta go electric. I sit in air conditioned splendor whilst happily brewing.

Back