Glass Carboy Funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
3 year brewer, typically consistent on my cleaning skills, one infection to date.

Anyway, I filled a glass carboy with water to clean it (outside). I got an emergency call. I left it and was out of town for a WEEK.

Rain, 90 degree weather, insects floating in the carboy when I got back. As gross as you can imagine.

I cleaned it well, I scraped it clean, but it smells like ass.

It's glass, I know I can fix this, but I've never had something like this to fix before. This is my first huge 'forget about it' biff.

Can anyone tell me how to get the smell out of my glass carboy?

Any help is appreciated.

Personally I would put 2 to 4 scoops Oxy in it and fill with hot tap water to the brim and cover tightly. Let that sit for 24 hours. Rinse it out throughly. Then put in 1/2 to 1 cup of bleach, fill with hot tap water, and let it set for another 24 hours. Rinse well again.

You should be able to use it then or you can go one step further and hit it with some Starsan or even run it through your dishwasher.

This is the process I used when I brought my carboys out of 10 years in storage.

Back