Gizmag reports on world's strongest beers (up to 43%ABV!?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefro

Reaction score
http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-strongest-beers/15256/

For those who don't want to read - there are breweries now competing to create the "world's strongest beer". The current record holder is over 43% ABV, obtained through freezing aged beer to remove the water. It is a very laborious process, and these guys are doing it with beer that was already expensive and labor-intensive.

In my opinion this is no longer beer. It is something else wild and wonderful, and I am thinking about trying it myself at some point. For now I think I'll stick with brewing and not worrying. :tank:

I think the current record is 57.7% at Schorschbräu Schorschbock. Them and brewdog were battling it out to create the strongest beer Schorschbräu Schorschbock won with 57.7% and brew dog had 55% at the moment

I agree it is no longer beer and just alcoholic syrup.

By the very definition, beer is a beverage that results from fermentation, and these breweries are creating these super high ABV drinks by a form of distillation. Therefore I don't think it should even be thought of as beer, its just a different way to make a sort of "malt liquor" in my opinion.

However just because I don't agree with the definition doesn't mean I wouldn't love to try it.

By the very definition, beer is a beverage that results from fermentation, and these breweries are creating these super high ABV drinks by a form of distillation. Therefore I don't think it should even be thought of as beer, its just a different way to make a sort of "malt liquor" in my opinion.

Word. Freeze distillation is still distillation.

However just because I don't agree with the definition doesn't mean I wouldn't love to try it.

:rockin:

Also, I am curious who has the record for non-distilled beer that is of at least 75% cereal origin (or whatever is the limits for a currently recognized style of beer in terms of sugar additions). I vaguely recall hearing that substantial heights have been reached, using tricks like adding beano, and I don't know what yeast -- but there are distillers yeasts that go as high as 23%, maybe higher.

Bleh!

I am not a fan of "beers" that get above 9%, it stops tasting like beer above that and tastes more like liquor IMO

DisturbdChemist said:
I think the current record is 57.7% at Schorschbräu Schorschbock. Them and brewdog were battling it out to create the strongest beer Schorschbräu Schorschbock won with 57.7% and brew dog had 55% at the moment

I agree it is no longer beer and just alcoholic syrup.

Correct. I've had all of Brew Dog's high ABV beers. Tasted like crap.

Most of the breweries in San Diego have a few or several beers that are 10-12%. All great stuff, and i haven't seen any distilled beers around here. Nothing approaching 50% or even 20% though.

Ballast Point is working on a distillery but that's a separate discussion as they're not pretending it's beer.

Most of the breweries in San Diego have a few or several beers that are 10-12%. All great stuff, and i haven't seen any distilled beers around here. Nothing approaching 50% or even 20% though.

Ballast Point is working on a distillery but that's a separate discussion as they're not pretending it's beer.

Bruery has a high ABV Black Tuesday that I think is 19-20% for an imperial stout.

Sam Adams Utopias is 27% and Brew Dog Ghost Deer is 28% both naturally fermented (non-ice-distilled) beers.

Ghost deer never was bottled..tap only at brew dog shops. Utopias is $199-$250 released every 2 years.

Bruery has a high ABV Black Tuesday that I think is 19-20% for an imperial stout.

Sam Adams Utopias is 27% and Brew Dog Ghost Deer is 28% both naturally fermented (non-ice-distilled) beers.

Ghost deer never was bottled..tap only at brew dog shops. Utopias is $199-$250 released every 2 years.

Did they call it Chocolate Rain?

Of course dogfish has some high ABV beers 18%-20%, Avery has some in the 15%-18% range. The uncle Jacob stout is amazing even being at 17.5%, dangerously drinkable (sipper):mug:

Did they call it Chocolate Rain?

Of course dogfish has some high ABV beers 18%-20%, Avery has some in the 15%-18% range. The uncle Jacob stout is amazing even being at 17.5%, dangerously drinkable (sipper):mug:

Black Tuesday - 18.2% http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/51257/
chocolate Rain - 19.5% http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/53728/

Uncle Jacob I finally had some 2 weeks ago. Shared with a friend and at that ABV, I expected we'd need a 3rd person. No way...wish I had kept it to myself. That was very drinkable and I didn't get sick of it after a few ounces.

You may have to be a member of RateBeer, but here's the list of strongest beers in the world

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopAlcohol.asp

I've only had 5 of the top 25. Somethign to shoot for? HA! Most of these never leave the breweries and are on tap only so expect a few flights to Europe to get these done. Struise is in Belgium, Brew Dog in Scotland and the other in Germany

I dont get The brurey where I am at so i thought there was a bigger difference in the ABV but now i want to try to get my hands on some of them.

I got two more in my cellar i'm going to drink in the upcoming years. I have one all by myself and loved it so i bought what was left at the store. I wished I've seen the previous 16% pumpkin beer they released.

II'm not a member of rate beer but been on that site a few times. That will be an awesome list to go through and try. 0 of 25 :( for me but i have one so atleast i got one in the future :mug: I can get that bad/worse barelywine from mikkeller i just havent bought it because of the price. I love big beers especially just to sip and enjoy them for coarse of the night.

Back