Giving a presentation on homebrewing for a senior activity center,anyone done similar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizgig

Reaction score
How deep should I go, stick with extract or simple kits, or talk about all grain? I don't want to be too basic or way over their heads either.

I'd definitely get into all grain. I'm way too tired of the assumption that we are all still using those crappy kits with the yeast tapped to the bottom of the lid

I just did a presentation for the Emerging Agriculture conference at Wright State University (local to me). I can shoot you a copy of my outline if you want. PM me your email.

I'd definitely get into all grain. I'm way too tired of the assumption that we are all still using those crappy kits with the yeast tapped to the bottom of the lid

Sorry, considering the audience, I would go the other way.

If someone shows enough interest, maybe a follow-up AG demo would be in order.

This is just folks 55+, not like assisted living or a nursing home, but point taken. I could mention things like pumps and tippy mash tuns, buckets and handtrucks for the fermenters, splitting into 3 gallon buckets, etc.

Anyone have any tips in that realm? I think we have some brewers on wheels here (or just anyone with a bad back or whatever), right?

I'd cover the fundamentals comparing images of commercial equipment with lil' homebrewing stuff. I would not try to dumb things down. Details can be omitted.

I would cover the basic chemistry, biology and fermentation process of homebrewing.

Your audience presumably already have an interest so keep it fresh.

As always with A/V presentations, avoid

clip art
stale internet jokes
and don't read your slides

Lots of pictures, an odd video or two to demonstrate pertinent things is always a good idea

Also, bring samples of your tasty creations. Even if the talk is not well received the audience will give you a raucous ovation.

Best of luck with it.

Yeah? Well I'm too tired of the assumption that extract brewers just use crappy kits with the yeast taped to the lid... :p

I would present an all grain, full volume BIAB scenario... keep it as simple as you possibly can.
Grain plus water = sweet wort.
Sweet wort plus hops in the boil makes it balanced.
Add yeast = beer.
I would not try to do an actual brew, but maybe come prepared with a mash tun / BIAB kettle with grain and heated water so they can taste and see the sweet wort, then have a carboy fermenting away, and say that it only takes a few days for it to ferment completely, but that the yeast lends a flavor too, so sitting on the yeast for a few weeks is good.

It really depends on your audience. For most people in the general population, I'd guess that a basic extract class, with some fermentation science thrown it, would be more than enough.

I did laugh at the "senior activity" because 55 is a lot different than 80. I have a friend who brews (he's 68) and won't go to the "silver sneakers" workout group because it's old ladies in chairs, but others his age are "old" in so many ways. I taught him AG brewing a few years ago, and his wife also and she does most of the brewing while he does the heavy lifting.

I'd guess that most people at best have a passing interest. If they are truly wildly interested, then they would already know the basics.

I know that I"m a member of AARP and my husband is going to be 60 in a few weeks, so we'd be in that target age group, more or less, but we'd not even consider going to a class marked "55+" in ANYTHING. I do "regular" yoga and pilates and things, and I'd run from any class considered "55+", so the few classes I've taught (exercise and balance) that were over advertised that age group were more like 75+ in reality.

I guess that is what I'd check- what "55+" really means. Like folks in their mid- late- 50s who are incredibly active, or if this is a class that meets often and they need someone to fill a spot. Next week could be "art", for example.

And I don't think I brew like an old person. :D

Back