Getting your kids involved as "assistant brewers"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelbBrew

Reaction score
G'Day.

As the subject suggests, was wondering if any of you fellas ever get your children involved in your brewing? Just wondering the whole "moral" side of things as exposure to alcohol with children is a big concern here in Australia.

Our 4 year old is my "assistant brewer" and basically sprays sanitiser on everything to minimise any risk of contamination. It makes her feel important and responsible. I look at her involvement as a bit of bonding but also a chance to emphasise the scientific aspects of the fermentation etc. She loves to pour DME in the boil for yeast starters etc. She's also a fantastic bottler.

What are your thoughts around this and do you get your kids involved?

Cheers,

Garrett
Melbourne, Australia

I'm not really in that situation, but I think it is a good thing. You're spending time with them, teaching them, allowing them to do some "work," and sharing a passion. Yes, alcohol is for adults only, but you can teach them that too.

When they are older, I also believe in teaching them to drink responsibly. Should they learn to drink from some rotten kid who steals beer from his parents, or you?

My kids are grown, but if they were young I would hope they would be interested in helping me brew. I think it would be a great bonding thing. You are not giving them alcohol, so I see no problem. As you alluded to, it is a chance to teach them some of the science behind brewing, and also a chance to maybe teach them some about being responsible with alcohol when they are of legal drinking age. As long as you are taking proper safety precautions if they are around burners or hot wort, I see no problem with it.

I've been brewing for over 6 years now and I have 5 kids and when I started my youngest was 3 and she loved to help me.
At some point all of my kids have helped me, I can remember a few bottling sessions where I didn't touch not 1 bottle and the 3 youngest bottled 5 and 10 gallons with just some supervision.
As far as the "moral" side your not doing anything illegal and they are learning the science of things very similar to baking. And as was mentioned already it's time together with your kids.

My 6 and 4 year olds help daddy during brew days and bottling. Occasionally I will consider the moral question and when I do, I realize that I'm only concerning myself with others opinions and not my own. I don't have a moral objection to it. Those that do would likely be arguing without logic and only with a simple explanation of alcohol is "bad". Not going to miss out on a passion of mine and bonding time with my kids because of these people.

I'm with you, don't really care what people think. My daughters 12 she's been brewing with me for two years. Even brings her homework out with her so she can add the hops and stir. She's starting to identify some hops by the aroma. It is ironic that the first time i brewed i have a picture of her stirring the wort and the very next day I have a picture of her at D.A.R.E. graduation.

For those from the States, the 'moral' issue we have here has to do with idiots getting hammered and indiscriminately beating (and sometimes killing) people while drunk. Lots of debate about alcohol exposure to kids and ease of access to booze.

Anyway, if you enjoy brewing with your kids and they see you acting responsibly around alcohol, keep doing it. If I had kids, I'd brew with them. I brewed and bottled with my dad when I was young. I also cooked every weekend with him, whether in the kitchen or out BBQing. Brewing in my mind is just another form of cooking. If you feel uneasy about letting your kids help you brew, maybe introduce them to cooking as well?

Make some small beers already. Just set aside some wort during primary fermentation, then cold crash it after a day. Maybe .5% alcohol.

Thanks fellas. I never really had apprehensions about the course I was taking with my daughter, rather whether or not I was alone!
Very happy to see that I'm not alone.

Plain to see that we all enjoy involving our little joys with the joy our little hobby (obsession).

On a complete tangent, thoughts to all of you in America as the clock ticks forward to 11 September your time. The world is with you.

Cheers,
Garrett

My son and nephew started helping me brew around 5 y/o. They are currently 20 and 18. They don't drink beer (other than a swallow to test flavor) but are quite intetested in the process. My son asks a lot of questions on brewday and can fill & cap like no one's business!

I'm with you, don't really care what people think. My daughters 12 she's been brewing with me for two years. Even brings her homework out with her so she can add the hops and stir. She's starting to identify some hops by the aroma. It is ironic that the first time i brewed i have a picture of her stirring the wort and the very next day I have a picture of her at D.A.R.E. graduation.

I'd expect her helping with brewing will do a far better job of teaching her to deal with alcohol wisely than DARE. https://www.theguardian.com/society...rugs-just-say-no-dare-program-opioid-epidemic

I have an 8 year old, and one on the way. I was thinking that I probably wasn't the only one that had given this some though. I tend to agree with all the others in this thread, I don't see it as a problem.

My 13 year old loves helping me. He actually brewed his first beer. Sure he can't try any but he wanted to brew it himself so I let him. It was a RIS, and I just guided him the whole way through. Told him we can go to Mexico when he turns 18 and I'll save a bottle for him.

My 13 year old loves helping me. He actually brewed his first beer. Sure he can't try any but he wanted to brew it himself so I let him. It was a RIS, and I just guided him the whole way through. Told him we can go to Mexico when he turns 18 and I'll save a bottle for him.

Depending on what state you're in, you can give your minor child alcohol in your own home.

I plan on using the same approach they use through much of Europe: let my kid try alcohol in a safe environment within reason, to help dispel the mystique / stigma surrounding it.

Ages 12-18, mom & dad always let me go with them to breweries and wineries around the country while on family camping trips. Of course, since this would've been between 1982-1988 things may be a little bit different these days. This is probably why I started brewing beer in 1992. Mom made wine (and other stuff) in the basement since as far back as I can remember (grandpa, too). I see this as a great way to teach your kids many positive things.

My son is way too small to help (under 2) but we've started building a wall around the burner w/ patio furniture and baby gates so that the whole family can safely be outside while I brew (including the dog). I see huge benefits 1) I get to spend 3-5 hours w/ my son I'd normally be either outside alone or only partially present for as I constantly run to the window to check the BK and timers 2) my son gets extra outside time 3) my wife isn't put on Single Mom duty which keeps her happy and 4) the combination of the above keeps me brewing more often.

I'd imagine that once he'd old enough to help he'll be assisting. I think its great. We all know that brewing is like 90% standing around waiting for things to happen so why not spend that time talking to your kids. As for the alcohol introduction, I have a kegerator in the basement (which will get tap locks once he can reach it). Its going to be introduced regardless, plus how many of us grew up runners to grab another cold one for our folks? At least there's learning involved in being an assistant brewer.

I have three kids. All have been involved over the years, but ONE loves anything science-y. He likes to understand the processes of extracting sugars, fermenting, carbonating, etc. He's 13 now and did a Science Fair entry on the "Art & Science of Homebrewing" last year, receiving lots of praise. Educating your kids and being involved with their lives is a GREAT thing.

My plan is to educate our two early so they appreciate quality food and drink. Once they get to college they will have developed a palate such that they avoid BMC and the like. Once they realize they can't afford that many of the good beers at the bars they'll be back at their place drinking safely with their buddies. Mine sample with a dip of the finger many things my wife and I enjoy at home and in public. We've gotten some laughs, some glares, but many more positive than negative comments.

They are your kids and involving them is your prerogative, not to be based on how other people perceive you and your actions. Like others have said actually being involved with your kids and doing things with them is much more than most others who may pass judgement of your actions do with their kids.

I had my oldest (5 yo) help me with mash in last week!
I look forward to teaching him and his siblings the science and fun behind brewing, baking and cooking.

For those from the States, the 'moral' issue we have here has to do with idiots getting hammered and indiscriminately beating (and sometimes killing) people while drunk. Lots of debate about alcohol exposure to kids and ease of access to booze.

Just the same on this side of the Tasman, the point being the role model of alcohol in society. A culture of binge drinking and alcohol as a easily accessible drug with people accepting that drunken yobbo's are just a part of what we do growing up does not help the situation.
What helps the situation is teaching children from a young age that alcohol should be respected, know your limits (stop drinking way before you turn into a yobbo) and that a beer can be enjoyed as a beverage not just an alcohol delivery systems. Basically what you will (hopefully) be teaching them through homebrewing with them :)

Latest posts

Back