Getting wort hot enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micfiygd

Reaction score
So I'm doing my 4th batch today and I have a quick question.

I've read a lot about the risks of boilovers but every time I brew I never get even close to that point. My wort gets to 212 (even a little higher) but it never vigorously boils to the point where lots of foam is being created.

I know not to cover the pot, so is there anything I can do?

If not, is this having an adverse affect on my brews?

If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

The hot break boil over is much larger of an issue with all grain brewing than extract. However don't get too comfortable that you don't boil over because that is when they usually happen in my experience :D

you can decrease your boil volume, kettle size, or burner output.

you have left out a few details to help you.

Volume, Kettle size and shape, stove top (glass or coil), outdoor gas??

Just keep trucking. I scarcely ever achieve vigorous boil on the stove and it just doesn't matter. A slow boil is just as good for sterilizing the wort, getting good hop utilization and producing a hot break.

First off, your boil will never get above 212, as this is the temperature that water boils at. Above 212, the water evaporates. I don't believe the sugar added changes the chemistry in this sense in any noticeable way.

That being said, there are different sorts of boils, which has to do with how much of the wort is at boiling temps at any given time. During a very small boil (when just a few bubbles are coming off the bottom), only a very small percentage of the pot is boiling. A very big, rolling, vigorous boil, however, have a much higher percentage of water at 212 F at any given time, hence the intense activity.

In summation, once your wort starts boiling, the factor that will determine whether it is a small or big boil is how high you have your burner. Find a spot on your stove dial where the wort is rolling, bot not frothing (you can even mark this spot on your stove dial with a sharpie if you desire). This should be more than fine!

I don't believe the sugar added changes the chemistry in this sense in any noticeable way.

It increases the boiling point slightly, but it's pretty negligible. Elevation is much more significant.

The only time I've had a boil over is if I use dme. With all grain, I don't have any issues at all, even with half an inch of head space in the kettle.

Back