Getting two beers out of one mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prouseb

Reaction score
Hey, has anybody tried using the leftover sugars in the mash of a big beer to brew a low gravity batch at the same time? If so, how did that work out? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks,

Bradley

I haven't yet but I have the ingredients to brew a 7 gallon imperial stout with an OG of 1.100 that I am going to age in a bourbon barrel. I am going to try and make a brown ale with pecans and maple syrup with what's left over. I am going to do it next weekend. Will post results after I complete it. I am shooting for an OG of 1.046 in the brown ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That sounds really close to what I want to do, but with a 1.103 tripel. I also hadn't put much thought into the style of the second batch. probably just a pale ale.

How do you estimate the OG for the second brew? Or are you planning to add adjunct until you hit 1.046?

I'm brewing this weekend, So I can let you know how it turns out.

I believe a traditional "Small Beer" is brewed this way. In order to keep a high gravity the first runnings are drained off for the big beer and the second runnings are drained off for the small beer.

I believe you are talking about a partigyle. Look it up on the forums. Many do it and have nice recipes to get two great brews out of it.

Partigyle brewing. I know this is lazy to say this, but search up on that term and you'll find better info than I can give. I've only done 2.

Update on the Party-Gals. That is to say the Parti-gyle brew day.

I planned to make a total of 10 gallons, split into 2 batches. The first would be the Big Party-Gal, a Belgian Tripel with an OG of 1.105. The small beer got a couple ounces of roasted barley before mash-out and a California Ale yeast. I'll believe anybody who tells me what style it is.

Using the above table, and accounting for the difference the Candy Sugar would make in the Tripel, I figured I needed a total gravity of 1.066 for the whole batch. My Tripel would come out at 1.088 before adjunct, and the small beer would start it's life at 1.044.

I made a simple recipe accordingly. Nothing but Pilsner malt.

The changes required to manage the two batches did something to my efficiency, and I got a few more points than I expected. The Tripel has an OG of 1.114. I'm still processing that. I pitched ~400 billion cells of WLP500 Trappist and three hours later it is already pretty active.

The Little-Gal has an OG of 1.050, and is a full gallon more that I had planned. It's colour is quite nice and I'm confident it will balance the day if the Tripel turns out to be a bit too violent.

I have two brew pots, one I normally use only as a hot liquor pot. I also have a 10 gallon mash tun that was very full. I boiled one wort in the house and one on the turkey fryer.

So, everything looks pretty good so far. It wasn't a lot of extra work, unless you have to hand-crank your mill. I think I will be doing most of my brews like this from now on, though I'll probably try to keep the OGs below 1.1.

I did a 1.125 imperial stout, 35 pounds of grain for a 6 gallon batch. I also did a small stout by sparging another 7.5 gallons of water on the grain bed. I did add about 10 ounces of DME to the small stout but it still came out about 5% and tasty.

Back