getting the most attenuation from my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a tripel in the next week or two and would like it to finish below 1010. So far I've brewed a one gallon belgian pale ale and used the slurry for a five gallon dubbel. The yeast is WLP 530. The pale finished around 75 and the dubbel 80% apparent attenuation. Bboth finished at 1012... right where i wanted them, but would like to get the tripel a little lower. The dubbel was hit with pure oxygen and used a pound of candy syrup which likely led to more attenuation. Both were fermented in the upper 60s and conditioned for a couple weeks at 70 degrees. Both were single infusions with a mash temp of 153.

I saved a pint of slurry from the dubbel and plan to use it in the tripel. I Weighed out the grains for my tripel and the recipe is as follows. 12 lbs pilsner malt, 1.5 lbs white wheat, .25 lbs aromatic and a pound of corn sugar. According to the user comments on the yeast, many people are getting 85% or better attenuation. Any suggestions on how I can get the most from this yeast? Additional rests? Adding sugar to the fermenting wort rather than the boil? Thanks.

Do a step mash if you really want it to dry out. Like 145 for 60min, then raise to about 155 for 30 min. Should get you a highly fermentable end product.

Do a step mash if you really want it to dry out. Like 145 for 60min, then raise to about 155 for 30 min. Should get you a highly fermentable end product.

I think ill try a stepped mash. Up to now I've mainly done single infusions and been happy. Are the 145 and the 155 rests to target both the wheat and pils malt?

You could also consider increasing the length of your mash to 90 minutes if you decide to stick with single infusion.

It's not about the malt type. The idea is to allow both alpha and beta amylase to function in their ideal temperature range.

Roger that. I thought that wheat benefited from a different rest as well. Protein maybe. Anyone know that rest temp off the top of their head? Thanks.

Get your sugar in the 20 percent of the grain bill range and you'll finish well below 1.010

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Agreed with the above sentiments. For my Tripel I mash 70 mins at 148, and then raise to 158 over the next 20 mins and then just keep raising until I mash out at 168. Essentially it is just moving from 148 to 168 over about 30-35 mins using this method. This seems to produce a highly fermentable wort.

I add 20% sugar to my fermentables but not in the boil. The most important aspect to drying out this beer is NOT adding the sugar to the boil, add it during fermentation after about 4 or 5 days once the fermentation starts to slow. Also, you should be slowly raising your fermentation temperature towards the end to dry the beer out. I pitch at 64 degrees with a very healthy starter and pure O2 and hold there for 2 or so days in order to keep the fusel alcohol low and then start raising 2 degrees per day. Once I am at about 70 degrees and the krausen starts to subside, I add my sugar slurry. After about 14 days I am usually at about 1.009 and 10% alcohol with little to no hot alcohol flavors. This beer improves and really comes together after about a month of cold conditioning.

Do you think it would work out adding half to the boil and half to the fermentor? I'm planning a Rochefort 8 clone attempt for the weekend, shooting for a 1.080 OG with 90% attenuation. I'm going to do a pound of table sugar and a pound of home made candy syrup. I can't see any way I'm getting that super thick syrup into a fermentor without adding a bunch of water and heat.

Thanks... those were pretty much thoughts. Everyone think 2 pounds of sugar instead of one? One pound makes up about 13% of the gravity points. I didn't want to go too high and end up with a c idery beer.

To the previous poster. I would add the can di syrup at the end of the boil and make a sugar solution to add as fermentation subsides.

Back