Getting odors out of fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyhomebrewer

Reaction score
so I normally make 4 gallon batches using food grade bpa free 5 gallon buckets for my primary fermenters.

Even after repeated washings and multiple spraying with bleach and letting it sit, washing and repeating I've still noticed some odors.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do about it?

You want to stay away from bleach, which doesn't always rinse completely out of plastic. Also, don't worry about the smell, so long as it smells beerish. If it smells funkier than that, consider replacing. Otherwise, don't worry about it. You can soak in OxyClean Free with water overnight and give it a good rinse afterwards, but plastic will pick up smells. Mine plastic fermenter buckets have those smells, and have never imparted off flavors into my brews. RDWHAHB

What odors? I personally believe the plastics I brew with smells lovely, I wouldn't call it an "odor". If it stinks, you have a different problem.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do about it?
It's not a problem so I don't do anything about it. If I need a bucket for fermenting, I just use one that has been used for that purpose. If I need a bucket that has no beer odor, I buy one that has no beer odor. Once a bucket has been used for fermenting beer it will nearly always smell like that.

Well i make wine not beer. And I'm worried about red wine, which I make the most of, making other wines take on a red wine smell

Thanks for the oxyclean free idea

bleach or one of those oxy cleaners is your friend. Rinse well.

The way i get odors from previous batch out is by making a new batch, then it smells like that batch🤙🏻 Clean and sanitize and you are good

All my fementers smell like hops, even after PBW, Idophor, etc, etc. I just keep brewing. Doesn't seem to get into the brews...otherwise I'd save some money.

Plastic picks up odors but I've never found odor transfers from one beer to the next. I'm not great about trying to get the color/odor out of the plastic but when they get too strongly odorous or stained I use warm water and oxyclean which gets it out.

I would use oxyclean or PBW between wine and beer--especially red wine. The residue may add tannins and color to the beer. Might not be an issue with a stout or other dark beer but I wouldn't put a light beer in without at least trying to extract some of the color with a cleaner.

It's not "odor", it;s "character", or "experience". As long as you clean and sanitize them, it's ok. I'm still using 1 of my fermenters I got in 2009 for ales and lagers. I do have separate wine and beer fermenters, but that's just personal choice so I can make sure I have fermenters open for which 1 I want to make. 3 beer fermenters and 2 wine/cider fermenters. It also helps me to keep them separated not brew too many of either 1, since I still love to brew after many years and do it sometimes just to clear my head.

A long soak in Oxiclean Free usually does the trick. I bought a vittles vault from a yard sale once that reeked of dog food, but a few days of soaking made it good as new.

Back