getting new racking/siphoning tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benedetto

Reaction score
How often do yous guys replace your racking and siphoning tubes?

I am ashamed to admit how old mine are...

And is there a general consensus on which material is best? midwest has these high-tech anti-microbial non-PVC tubes. Anyone know if they are they worth the extra cash?

My tubing is a few years old. I've can't remember the last time I changed it but I'm upgrading to a 1/2" auto siphon so I'll have new transfer tubing for that and I'll probably splurge for the gas line at the beer store instead of the home depot plastic tubing i have in my kegerator. My kegerator line is from the factory and I'll probably never replace it.

Once my tubing goes on the racking cane, it doesn't come off. I buy tubing so that it fits really snug onto the cane. I have to heat it in boiling water to get it to stretch enough to get onto the cane. I've had issues with not getting a good seal on the tubing and that is just a huge PITA when racking. You get all kinds of air into the line and that messes up the siphon process. I haven't replaced it yet. I go through racking canes faster than tubing. I just make sure to clean it right away after racking.

And a big +1 on the 1/2" auto siphon tube. Man alive, does that make a difference!

I usually use the WATTS tubing you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. I hope that stuff is food safe!

I throw away the tube every year or so.

I remove the tube so I can clean everything better.
The tubing is snug, so I heat it with hot water to get it on or off.
No big deal.

The auto siphon tends to have something go wrong with it every couple of years, like a crack, so I estimate every 2 years (but only when it breaks),

Back