Getting layed off might be a good thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Well, I got layed off from my job today. As part of my apprenticeship I have to go to a week of school @ least once quarterly. I have already gone my one time this quarter, but it is usually a good rule of thumb that when you get layed off from a job to go to school for a week.

So I got layed off today, like I said. The only class that is offered next week that I have not taken is Welding II. That works out perfectly for me. I have been welding since I was 16, so this class will be a no brainer for me. (Actually, I should have been credited with this class right from the start. But I was 19 when I started the apprenticeship and they - The powers that be - don't think such a young kid needs to start any higher than a 50% apprentice.) I know the instructor from previous classes already and we have a good repore. All I'll have to do is show him that I can lay down some clean welds and I'll have free reign on the shop for the rest of the week!

I have 3 kegs that I need to cut, and I am going to start my frame for my HERMS setup. It's gonna be single-tier. I got a few metal bed frames off of Craigslist to get me started. I'll have access to all the grinders, torches, MIG welders, buzz-boxes and Plasma Cutters that I'll need. The only thing I won't have is an aluminum set-up. But that's ok, I won't need that....yet :D .

Anyways, does anybody have any last minute advice or reccomendations for me? Anything I need to take into cosideration?

heh... Sorry I just miss read the title of the thread without the word off and was confused
I think you can't go wrong checking out what other people have done and doing your own thing. Hard to mess up really. Take pics and let us see what you come up with.

"Getting Layed... Might Be a Good Thing." Haha - I did the same thing. Mis-read the title.

Sorry to hear about that, so for now more HBing, beer drinking, sex, extra sleep and occasional classes.

When you're laid off its a good time to improve yourself. It shows potential employers that you are not lazy.

Before you know it you'll be back working. Skilled Tradesmen are hard to find.

I'm an old machinist myself, now an engineer. I know someone with your experience is never out of work long.

Good Luck - Enjoy the Short Break!
:mug:

I'm a Union Carpenter. Vegas is pretty busy these days. I could have had another job in 5 minutes, but like somebody already said, It's a good chance to improve oneself. Just relax and regroup, sleep in, spend time with my family, brew, etc, etc.

I'm actually looking forward to the next few days.:rockin:

Schlenkerla said:
I guessed Welding - Welding Class, Plasma Cutters, MIG.....

Nah, I had to take welding for my apprenticeship, too. I'll never know why, though, cuz in seven years as an electrician I've never had to weld anything yet, cept for the occasional Cadweld.

UPDATE...

Well, due to new policy changes at the training center, students are not allowed to have free reign of the shop anymore...it's a liability thing. So I didn't get to do anything this week for my brewstand or my keggles!!!:mad:
Instead they had me and another student build a big project for some local politicians garage. I guess I am a victim of my own success. :D

But, on a happier note, my instructor did tell me where I can get a god price on metal. I just have to ask for a woman named Missy and tell her that the metal is for the JATC (Journeyman Apprentice Training Center), and I'll get a HUGE discount. SWEET.:cross:

Back