Getting into kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadS

Reaction score
hi, I’m looking to get into kegging instead of bottling my beer. I’ll likely pick a corny keg, but two questions I have are as follows:

1. Where do you get CO2 tanks and where do they get filled?

2. How do you keep the kegged beer cold when you want to pour it? Did you buy a kegerator or did you make a system on your own?

Any other tips you have for getting into kegging for the first time would be greatly appreciated!

1a) I purchased my tank as part of a kit from a homebrew store (a 5 lb one). I have been looking some on Craigslist for a used 10 lb or 20 lb one. I see them on there, but nothing I have jumped on (mostly do to location). I occasionally see people selling full kegging system for decent price. I have seen some people talking about renting their tank.

1b) I exchange for a full one at a local Robert's Oxygen. The places that seem the most common are industrial gas companies, fire extinguisher companies, and paint ball companies. Some will refill your tank, but many exchange your tank for another one (that might not be all shiny and pretty).

2) I have a spare fridge that will fit 3 kegs. I have to open the door and dispense with a picnic tap. :(

As CascadesBrewer mentions, Craigslist would be a good place to look for an inexpensive used CO2 tank or you could buy one new from nearly any online home brew supply company. I exchange my empty 20# tanks at a local welding supply company. The biggest issue to be aware of with used/ older tanks is the possibility of the hydro test being out of date. If it’s expired, places that exchange tanks will almost always charge you for the cost to have it re-certified and places that refill tanks might not refill it. I don’t know what state you live in, but I know some people are getting their tanks refilled at marijuana grow facilities fairly cheaply in states where it’s legal now.

I bought a used refrigerator from an ad on my local radio “swap shop” for $40 and with a 7/8” hole saw I was in business with 3 faucets in the door. Craigslist would be a good place to look for used fridges or freezers too.
... and used corny kegs.
Good luck.

I bought a 2 tap kegerator that came with the tank and regulator. But I cant fill them here , they do an exchange . I use torpedo kegs and I really like them. If your thinking of kegerator check out the keg king . It came with everything, the lines clamps fittings . I was gonna make one but I couldnt find a good fridge for a decent price . By the time I paid for the fridge I wanted and got all the stuff it was about 150 cheaper , but I would of had to drill the hole in fridge and hope I didnt jack it up.
+1 on Craigslist . I just seen a used kegerator and all kinds of beer stuff for 500$.

I bought a 2 tap kegerator that came with a 5lb aluminum bottle and I also got a spare from an online brew shop.

Get the bottles filled at a fire extinguisher shop and they will also do the 5 year hydro test.

Depending on where you live some beer distributors who sell kegs will fill bottles.

It took me a whole year to put together my tap setup but it cost me next to nothing. I asked for a keg for Christmas one year, then I got a 5 lb c02 tank for my birthday the same year. Then I just kept my eyes open for those "free" visa cards when you sign up for things and used that to get my draft kit that included a regulator, faucet, beer line, etc...
There's always things online that go on sale every-so-often. Look at morebeer.com homebrewing.org or even join a club and ask if anyone wants to get rid of anything you might need.

1. My in-laws got my the c02 tank from morebeer.com I believe. I get it filled either at a fire extinguishing place (they will fill my tank and give it back) or if I'm in a pinch I can go to the oxygen company but that's a tank exchange and it costs much more for some reason. I only go there if my tank is expired so I can get a new one on the spot instead of waiting a week to get mine inspected. (Side note: speaking of that make sure, if you're buying a used tank, it's not expired. You'll have to either do a fill-swap or pay and wait to get it inspected.)

2. I keep the kegged beer cold by leaving it in my beer fridge. It's one of those old school style white whirlpool fridges with the freezer on top. I didn't drill any holes in the door or anything. I have a faucet on one keg and a picnic tap on the other that i rest on top of the kegs. I'm pretty careful about drips and spilling beer in the fridge but my buddies aren't! This method works to keep the beer and the beer in the line cold at all times, although, I might drill the taps in the door one day.

When I first got my draft setup I had everything but a fridge to keep it cold. Haha. I remember I kept the keg in a bucket of ice in my basement until it got cold enough outside to just keep it out in the corner of the garage. Then, when we sold that house, I said the fridge didn't convey and thus a "free" beer fridge was born. If you have the budget I think a keezer is the way to go. Build a collar on it so you don't have to drill into the fridge, get a thermostat for it with your draft system, and you're all set.

My biggest piece of advice is to make sure to clean your faucets after each keg. They can get pretty nasty if you don't and can seize the parts inside. You have to boil it whole faucet to get it apart. I don't have a nice faucet, like a perlic, but my setup works fine since my taps are all inside my fridge anyway.
There's also some good youtube videos on kegging beer. I think Dawson does one from the old BrewingTV days that I recall being a good one. There are a few different methods from force/burst carbing, to set-it-and-forget-it, to natural carbing in the keg. It just depends on what fits your timeline and when the beer is needed.

1a) I purchased my tank as part of a kit from a homebrew store (a 5 lb one). I have been looking some on Craigslist for a used 10 lb or 20 lb one. I see them on there, but nothing I have jumped on (mostly do to location). I occasionally see people selling full kegging system for decent price. I have seen some people talking about renting their tank.

1b) I exchange for a full one at a local Robert's Oxygen. The places that seem the most common are industrial gas companies, fire extinguisher companies, and paint ball companies. Some will refill your tank, but many exchange your tank for another one (that might not be all shiny and pretty).

2) I have a spare fridge that will fit 3 kegs. I have to open the door and dispense with a picnic tap. :(
why not just put shanks through the door and faucets on the other side?
picnic tap?
why?

I believe I bought my tank from one of the homebrew shops. I currently fill it at a local homebrew shop. You may also find nearby options to fill CO2 tanks at paintball supply shops, hardware stores, sporting goods stores, gas suppliers (e.g. AirGas) and some welders may fill your tank. Some places only do swaps and only do swaps of particular sizes. Keep that in mind when buying a tank. You may not keep the shiny new tank you buy or you may find yourself driving all over town to fill a larger tank.

Definitely check your local craigslist, local facebook sales and homebrewing groups for used tanks, kegs and kegerators. If you live in a decently sized metro area you are bound to find some of this equipment for very reasonable prices. There are always people getting out of homebrewing or buy kegerators for commercial beer and realize they don't care enough to keep up with it.

Decide from the outset how many taps you think you will want and what kind of kegs you will use. If you only want one or two taps then a small fridge kegerator is sufficient. If you think you want more taps now or in the future then you should look at a converted full size fridge or chest freezer. If you intend on kegging in corny kegs then you should pick pin lock or ball lock and be consistent about only buying that type of keg so you don't have to keep two sets of kegging equipment. Ball lock kegs are probably the better option these days. Pin lock kegs are a little cheaper but ball lock equipment is more common. New homebrewing equipment designed to work with kegging setups or CO2 are generally always ball lock connectors.

why not just put shanks through the door and faucets on the other side?
picnic tap?
why?
I have the same setup out of pure laziness, really. I figure, the beer tastes the same without all the drilling.

I have the same setup out of pure laziness, really. I figure, the beer tastes the same without all the drilling.

Yeah...I have been indecisive about maybe building a keezer and if I would want that on my main level or the basement (where the ugly fridge is now). I have looked at taps, but the price of 3 taps, shanks, and hardware has scared me away considering that I could spend the money on areas that will improve the quality of my beer...or maybe spend some money to get a real dinning room table vs an air hockey table with plywood sitting on top!

I learned that 1) the best way to free up time for brewing is to get divorced and 2) the best way to eliminate your budget for brewing equipment is to get divorced. ;)

Yeah...I have been indecisive about maybe building a keezer and if I would want that on my main level or the basement (where the ugly fridge is now). I have looked at taps, but the price of 3 taps, shanks, and hardware has scared me away considering that I could spend the money on areas that will improve the quality of my beer...or maybe spend some money to get a real dinning room table vs an air hockey table with plywood sitting on top!

I learned that 1) the best way to free up time for brewing is to get divorced and 2) the best way to eliminate your budget for brewing equipment is to get divorced. ;)

I'm in the same boat. I already have beer on tap and don't care if it comes out of a picnic tap, outside or inside the fridge, etc... so any other money I have available for beer usually goes to 50 lb sacks of 2 row or other ingredients. Shanks, faucets, and the like make good gifts for bdays or xmas or what have you. You just have to tell the right people and hope they listen!

I'd stick with the air hockey table. At least that can double as 2 things... What are you doing to do with a dinning room table??

1c) My local home brew store refills CO2 tanks, while I enjoy a pint in their taproom

Latest posts

Back