Getting impatient want beer for NFL kickoff help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I have a Nut brown Ale that's in Primary. On wed the 8th it will be four weeks it's been in Primary.

I was gonna be all patient and rack it into the keg wednesday, set the CO2 to the set it and forget it pressure for being in my basement (66 degrees or so I don't have a fridge) and wait a couple of weeks.

Now I am getting excited for the kickoff of the new NFL season and we will be doing a kickoff BBQ/party so I would like to have the beer ready for it.

So what can I do to get it ready by Sun the 11th.

The keg will be moved at the least from my basement to upstairs here at the most put in a car and driven an hour to someone elses house not sure yet. Either way I want as little sediment as possible.

I am thinking of racking the beer tommorow (the 5th) into the keg. I have no fridge but I am thinking of setting the keg in a cooler of ice and continously swapping out 2 liter frozen bottles of water into the melted ice to get and keep the temp down to fridge temps while carbing. Carb it till Fri? (the 10th) then transfer into a new keg with a jumper.

Good idea? Bad? Any better?

Whenever I have rushed any of my beers it has not turned out well. I am not saying that what your planning will not work but be careful. Whenever I have tried force carbing quickly I have never had success my beer just turned to foam. Has your beer reached final gravity?

No idea but the recipe called for 6 or 7 days in primary I went with a month as per a lot of the info I read on here so I can't imagine that it hasn't.

Whenever I have rushed any of my beers it has not turned out well. I am not saying that what your planning will not work but be careful. Whenever I have tried force carbing quickly I have never had success my beer just turned to foam. Has your beer reached final gravity?

Why are you planning on jumping it to another keg? That just adds a step to me. Should be fine in the first keg as long as you dont pick up a bunch of trub/hop gunk during racking. Your first beer or two you pull will be gunky most likely. I would do that before you take it in the car and get it all shaken up.

I would say you could have it carbonated in 5 days if you use the cooler method, bump the pressure to about 20-25 psi, and shake occasionally. On day 3 or 4 check the carb level (pour a few of those sludgy cups out) and adjust the pressure as necessary. You may need to bleed the keg if you go over your target, or else youll get foamy pours.

It's said it makes for a clearer beer, leaving the last bit of sediment behind. I would rather syphon further up and leave a little extra beer behind on the first transfer than have to do the work of transferring to another keg tho.

Whats the average temp of a keg sitting in a cooler of ice water? (I don't have a thermometer) Then I could figure out the PSI from this chart http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

But I am confused there is temps and PSI there but it doesn't tell you how many days??? Or am I missing it?

Why are you planning on jumping it to another keg? That just adds a step to me. Should be fine in the first keg as long as you dont pick up a bunch of trub/hop gunk during racking. Your first beer or two you pull will be gunky most likely. I would do that before you take it in the car and get it all shaken up.

I would say you could have it carbonated in 5 days if you use the cooler method, bump the pressure to about 20-25 psi, and shake occasionally. On day 3 or 4 check the carb level (pour a few of those sludgy cups out) and adjust the pressure as necessary. You may need to bleed the keg if you go over your target, or else youll get foamy pours.

I think that if you expect to serve crystal clear beer after quickly force carbing it, then driving it around in a car...you arent going to be happy with the results unless you filter it or cold crash it in a keg, remove as much cloudy beer as you can, then jump the clear beer to a fresh keg.

I know that if I scoot a keg around in the kegerator the beer goes from brilliantly clear to cloudy for at least a day. Even after you pull the first couple of sediment filled pints, theres lots of sediment left on the bottom of the keg, its just settled and not getting pulled into the dip tube.

Now I am getting excited for the kickoff of the new NFL season and we will be doing a kickoff BBQ/party so I would like to have the beer ready for it.

So what can I do to get it ready by Sun the 11th.

Akthor.... Just a heads up the season starts out on Thursday the 9th of Sep with Vikings @ Saints. . Can't help with your keg situation but, hope it all works out. .

Latest posts

Back