getting honey into a carboy, I'm I just thick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
Now I'm wanting to back sweeten my mead but I'm trying to work out the least wasteful and messy way to get the honey in there and dissolved?
Pouring it in with a funnel?
Heating it and pouring it in?
Dissolving it in hot or cold water? Not that I want to dilute it.
Or what I'm thinking cutting up set honey and putting it in solid? I'm guessing it will dissolve eventually?

Now I'm wanting to back sweeten my mead but I'm trying to work out the least wasteful and messy way to get the honey in there and dissolved?
Pouring it in with a funnel?
Heating it and pouring it in?
Dissolving it in hot or cold water? Not that I want to dilute it.
Or what I'm thinking cutting up set honey and putting it in solid? I'm guessing it will dissolve eventually?
Funnel.....

I remove part of the wine and dissolve the honey in it and then add that back. Some even heat the wine to make dissolving a bit easier.

Cheers, I was kinda just been thinking it over, didn't know the best way, think I'll try warning a little mead with honey to try not Degas the whole thing stirring it all in. try keep some come protection

Cheers, I was kinda just been thinking it over, didn't know the best way, think I'll try warning a little mead with honey to try not Degas the whole thing stirring it all in. try keep some come protection

If your wine is gassy as you backsweeten be prepared for a volcano. A gassy mead usually will not clear...you want it to degas.

So I should be degassing before it clears? To be honest this far I have let my mead Degas naturally as it clears and its been fine.

So I should be degassing before it clears? To be honest this far I have let my mead Degas naturally as it clears and its been fine.

Typically degassing happens as the wine clears. Then when clear you degas to co.firm it is no longer gassy. But I am one of those that lets age take care of it. The mead has to age anyway, is how I look at it.

I'm planning on doing the same thing with a small twist. I transferred the mead to secondary and didn't have the honey on hand (bad planning). I figure I'm going to rack this a couple of times in the aging process anyway so adding the honey now won't be too bad for clearing, etc.

How much of a volcano can I expect? Should I use a blowoff tube instead of an airlock? I plan to carbonate in bottles (using the back sweeten and pasteurize method), should I be worried about clearing too much yeast with multiple rankings (slightly off topic)?

I'm planning on doing the same thing with a small twist. I transferred the mead to secondary and didn't have the honey on hand (bad planning). I figure I'm going to rack this a couple of times in the aging process anyway so adding the honey now won't be too bad for clearing, etc.

How much of a volcano can I expect? Should I use a blowoff tube instead of an airlock? I plan to carbonate in bottles (using the back sweeten and pasteurize method), should I be worried about clearing too much yeast with multiple rankings (slightly off topic)?

The yeast tend to stay suspended in solution while gassy and will start to drop eventually. And then they are still there, so have no fear. Just slowly incorporate the honey to see how your must reacts. Some never pull a Mt. Vesuvius.
You want to clear the yeast that have dropped as you rack...but there is a rhyme n reason to racking, you just do not frequently do it. I would say my mead may get racked three times over six to nine months, I start counting with the first racking once dry.

What gravity are you dealing with? Are you planning to ferment dry, bring gravity back up, start carbing, then pasteurize?

Latest posts

Back