getting efficiency out of a bad grind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG72

Reaction score
i went to my LHBS which isn't that local and a purchased supplies for a couple of batches of beer. i've made 2 of my three batches from there and have had terrible efficiency. then i noticed the bad, too coarse grind. since i don't have a grinder yet, and can't drive out there again before i brew what should/can i do?

i went to my LHBS which isn't that local and a purchased supplies for a couple of batches of beer. i've made 2 of my three batches from there and have had terrible efficiency. then i noticed the bad, too coarse grind. since i don't have a grinder yet, and can't drive out there again before i brew what should/can i do?

Hook up with a local brewing pal and run it through his mill.

Crush the grains a little at a time on a sheet pan with a mallet or rolling pin.

(If brewing all grain) mash long, mash thick, sparge slowly and with more water than usual. Do a decoction mashout.

Consider formulating the same amount of grain to produce a 4 gallon batch instead of 5. That will account for the poor efficiency and allow you to still produce the same gravity wort (and thus the same beer) that a better crush would have yielded.

Latest posts

Back