Getting bottles spotless without a bottle brush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tupperwolf

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been ready to bottle my first batch for a few days now and have been trying to get my bottles ready. I have a ton of bottles that have soaked in Oxyclean and the labels removed but many of them still have visible yeast residue inside. I've been to every grocery store, hardware store, and 99c store near me and can't find a single bottle brush (like Palmer illustrates in How to Brew) to get the insides of them really clean... I thought something so simple and cheap would be easy to find.... any suggestions? :confused:

Go to the section at target or the grocery store that sells baby stuff. They sell brushes made to clean baby bottles. That's was I used when I bottled.

Check drugstores/grocery stores in the baby care section. Look for baby bottle brushes. They might be long enough to reach the bottom.

ETA: Fastmetal with the synchronous post!

Good advice! I'll take a look in the baby aisle.

I like to think I'm pretty good at solving basic problems, but this one has had me stumped. I figure a bottle brush should cost about 99c and I've probably spent ten bucks driving around looking for one.

you would think bottle brushes were a dime a dozen.hard to find, don't remeber where but I did find one that goes in a cordless drill.$13

something that I did when I got used bottles was boil them in my brew kettle.......a lot of gunk floats out

The baby bottle brushes, at least the ones I've had, are a lot stiffer than what the beer suppliers sell. The extra stiffness helps to obtain a thorough scrub on those bottles. The other end is usually the "nipple cleaner" and works well to get inside all your 1/2" couplings.

Back