Getting a more hoppy flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richthrift

Reaction score
I am brewing tomorrow with a premade kit. the came with one ounce of hops to add at 60 mins. I kind of want to get a more hoppy beer with this kit. Can i do 1/2 oz at 60 mins and 1/2 oz at 30 or 15 to achieve more of a hop flavor or should I just stick with the original recipe?

the addition at 60 minutes is probably for bitterness. the longer hops are in the boil the less aroma there will be and the more bitterness will be. depending on the malt bill trying to balance your beer may go wrong. my suggestion would be to buy another ounce of hops and add them at 15 about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have another recipe kit that uses the same hops. I think I will just use the hops out of that kit to add at 15 mins. I can always order more hops for that kit as Im not brewing that until mid March cause my friend wants to see how its done.

as weird says, it's better to add more hops, but if you're limited the the hops on hand, yes, front-load them, as in 1/2 at the start, and then the other 1/2 at 20 minutes left

Thanks for the info. I didnt know if it would really screw up the recipe if i added another ounce or if id lose a whole lot of hop flavor if I split them up that way. I really enjoy hoppier beers so I figured Id go ahead and try a hoppy Amber.

I'd probably add the 1oz at the beginning as you don't want to lose the bittering effect. I would also add the other oz. maybe 1/2 at 20 and 1/2 at 5?

If you can, I may look up and see what other hops would compliment the hops you already have and get some from your LHBS. Or just go there and ask them their opinion.

Just a thought.

I'm a newbie myself but love hoppy beers. My first IPA had 4 oz of hops plus one for dry hopping.

Good luck.

Back