Getting a good seal in primary fermenter (no bubbles)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnbyG

Reaction score
This is like my 7th brew and I have not seen a single bubble in my airlocks in any of my brews. My primary is a 6.5 gallon Ale Pail plastic bucket. I have replaced the ****ty airlock with a "better" one I purchased from a home brew store. The lid has been replaced as well. When I press the top of the plastic lid very gently the levels in the airlock do change.

I know it does not matter as my fermentation is going to completion. But I just really really want to see the bubbles. I don't think my primary is completely sealed. What do you do to get a perfect seal ?

I had this issue for the first 48 hours on my first brew. Then someone point out that I didn't have the airlock filled with enough sanitizing solution. I use the 3 piece airlock.

What airlock do you use? Have you figured out where the leak is coming from? Is it coming from the lid FOR SURE?

Pushing on the lid just compresses the air in the bucket and that's whats raising the airlock level. It would be the same with a bucket of water and means nothing. Pretty sure the Ale Pail has no gasket in the lid and just snaps on. Some other brands have a gasket in the lid. It helps seal thing up and will help with leaks.

Also check the grommet on the lid to make sure its seated properly and the stem of the airlock is nice and tight. I've have more leaks from that area than the lid.

It also depends on the beer your brewing. Lagers ferment cold and slow with less airlock activity. Colder fermented Ales ferment less actively. I usually only get airlock activity during high fermentation when its really cranking...around day 3 on the Ale pail but much sooner with the pail with the gasket (usually)

Worse case if your really dying to see something open up the bucket for a peak around day 3 to 5 to see whats happening. Its not good practice but I've done it endless times without infection...I think opening the bucket worries get blown out of proportion around her

I had this issue for the first 48 hours on my first brew. Then someone point out that I didn't have the airlock filled with enough sanitizing solution. I use the 3 piece airlock.

What airlock do you use? Have you figured out where the leak is coming from? Is it coming from the lid FOR SURE?

I was using a single piece airlock earlier, but now have switched to a three piece airlock. I think fermentation peaks around 48 hours after pitching. I have poured some Starsan around the rubber grommet and the airlock, and I did not see a single bubble there. So the only possibility is leakage through the lid.

Pushing on the lid just compresses the air in the bucket and that's whats raising the airlock level. It would be the same with a bucket of water and means nothing. Pretty sure the Ale Pail has no gasket in the lid and just snaps on. Some other brands have a gasket in the lid. It helps seal thing up and will help with leaks.

Also check the grommet on the lid to make sure its seated properly and the stem of the airlock is nice and tight. I've have more leaks from that area than the lid.

It also depends on the beer your brewing. Lagers ferment cold and slow with less airlock activity. Colder fermented Ales ferment less actively. I usually only get airlock activity during high fermentation when its really cranking...around day 3 on the Ale pail but much sooner with the pail with the gasket (usually)

Worse case if your really dying to see something open up the bucket for a peak around day 3 to 5 to see whats happening. Its not good practice but I've done it endless times without infection...I think opening the bucket worries get blown out of proportion around her

Yes, the Ale Pail one does not have a gasket. The leak is small but significant enough to prevent any pressure build up inside. That is why the levels change on pressing the lid gently.

I am brewing an amber ale right now. I lift the airlock out to check for fermentation and I do see krausen and giant yeast discs floating on top.

I have checked the grommet by pouring some Starsan solution there, and there were no bubbles, so it has to be the lid. The airlock fits super snug in the new grommet, and requires some force to remove it. Do you know if it is possible to buy a gasket that fits the Ale Pail lids ?

Do you know if it is possible to buy a gasket that fits the Ale Pail lids ?
I haven't seen one...not that I was looking. I can say the 2 lids are not interchangeable from bucket to bucket. If you really want to see activity use a carboy...not worth it to me as there heavy, slippery and and harder to clean....but that's a whole different story that's been beat to death

I haven't seen one...not that I was looking. I can say the 2 lids are not interchangeable from bucket to bucket. If you really want to see activity use a carboy...not worth it to me as there heavy, slippery and and harder to clean....but that's a whole different story that's been beat to death

Carboys are certainly not for me, I have very limited space, at least I can stack all the buckets and the boil kettle inside the one box they were shipped in.

I have poured some Starsan around the rubber grommet and the airlock, and I did not see a single bubble there. So the only possibility is leakage through the lid.

Get a spray bottle and start spraying starsan anywhere the leak could possibly be - around the grommet, airlock, all round where the lid seals, etc. Do it during peak fermentation. You'll see bubbles somewhere.

Can anyone post a picture of the lid edge, it might be possible to make a sealing gasket using silicone sealant if the trough is deep enough and shaped right.

I can do it once I am home. The fit of the lid is quite snug, so the gasket will have to be fairly thin. Will the gaskets made of silicone sealant be reusable ?

Get a spray bottle and start spraying starsan anywhere the leak could possibly be - around the grommet, airlock, all round where the lid seals, etc. Do it during peak fermentation. You'll see bubbles somewhere.

The way the lid and the bucket are designed it is impossible to spray Starsan around the lid. I have checked the grommet and it is fine.

You could try door insulation strips around the bucket under the lid lip..they come in different thicknesses and have a sticky side. They are sold at big box stores..seems like overkill just to see some bubbles but I get the bubble fascination

My buckets don't seal, I miss the bubbles but there is no issue with the brew.
You could try some keg lube around the bucket edge.

If you really want bubbles there is a blow pipe and bubble solution in the toy section of the local store. That for sure will get you bubbles. If you "have to" get bubbles from your airlock you need a vessel that will for sure seal, something like a carboy. I'd opt for plastic as I've seen the pictures of what can happen when the glass carboy breaks, anything from spilled beer to serious injury requiring emergency rooms. Other fixes for leaking lids on buckets is to get another bucket and lid. I have one bucket that always gets me bubbles, one that never bubbles, and one that has a mind of its own on whether this batch will produce bubbles or not. They all make beer.

My bucket lid also didn't come with a seal/gasket. I salvaged one from another bucket I had laying around, but they can also be ordered online. Just do a Google search.. you'll find them. To ensure a good seal, I also put tape around the lid. YMMV.

Cheers!

Order a different brand of fermentation bucket. Mine all have o-ring gaskets in the lids. Or buy PET fermenters. They are light the bung seals well, but you cannot stack them for storage.

Alternatively forget about bubbling airlocks. It doesn't matter to the beer.

Back