Gettin some free hops, but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrubDog

Reaction score
Some friends just bought a house (bank foreclosure) and there are hops growing all over the back yard. They said I can have all the hops if I throw them a growler out of each batch I brew. There's probably a couple of pounds in all.

Here's the challenge - they don't have a clue what kind of hops they are. Any ideas on how to identify what they might be? I can get some pics when the buds mature a little more.

There is no way to be sure just by looking at them. Brew a pale ale with them exclusively, that way you can get an idea on the bitterness as well as the flavor. Also hops are so cheap that a growler per batch is pretty generous, are they going to pick them and dry them for you as well?

They don't know anything about them. I told them I'd do all the picking and drying.

Do they have contact info for the previous tenant?

Edit:
Never mind, the bank probably has no interest in contacting them to see what kind of hops they are.

Just a WAG (wild a** guess) or maybe a SWAG (scientific wild a** guess). but if it looks like they were planted and cultivated, then they probably are something common like Cascade, Willamette , etc. The reason I sy that is because those rhizomes are easy to get.

If they are wild, then all bets are off and who knows what they are.

Do a simple SMASH with some to see what they taste like.

Pezedorado

The property is in Ellensburg, about 35 minutes from Yakima. That guide may be just what I need!

I'll check it out.

most of the hops that are grown in that area as pergola cover, etc, tend to be Cascade. People here tend to like it because it grows like a weed in the climate. I'd start there with a smash brew, and see what comes of it. fwiw, Leavenworth has a BOATLOAD of hops that grow wild on the bridges there. All cascade, from what i can tell.

my $0.02

Back