German IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Anyone ever try making a "German" IPA? I'm thinking maybe in the West Coast stlyle, but just pound the crap out of it with late addition German hops, hallertau, tettnang, etc. Maybe a touch of some continental pilsner and Munich or Vienna, but not necessarily.

Haven't done one yet, but would be very interested in hearing about anyone's attempts.
I did once dry hop a beer with a lot of Tettnanger, and was not too happy about it. Probably one of the newer German hop varieties would be better suited, Mandarina Bavaria maybe.

If you look at the style guidelines for German Pils the bitterness to OG ratio is about 1:1, similar to an IPA. Bump up the gravity and bring the IBU up to match and make an Imperial Pils. Throw in some late hop additions and dry hop to get some more hop flavor and aroma. If you don't have lagering capabilities you could probably use a clean ale yeast since the whole thing is definitely out of style guidelines to begin with.

I know people that routinely dryhop with "Perle". Thats definitely worth trying.
The new German flavor hops (Mandarina Bavaria, Hallertau Blanc, Huell Melon, Polaris) sound better than they actually are. I had a dry-hopped Mandarina-Weizen that did not much taste like "mandarina" at all...

I have and it wasn`t bad at all. I made a little 5l test batch.

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.014
IBU: 45
yeast: US-05
Primary fermentation: 7 days + 7 days dry hopping in primary at 18*C
Mash: 66*C for 60 min
Efficiency: 70%

81% Weyermann Pilsner
12% Weyermann Vienna
7% Weyermann Melanoiden

Hops:
Perle FWH 40 IBU
Mittlefrüh 1min 2,5 IBU
Saphir 1min 2,5 IBU
Herkules Dry hop 2 g/l
Mittlefrüh Dry hop 1 g/l
Saphir Dry hop 1 g/l
French oak chips 0,5g/l for 7 days (made tea, tossed chips and the tea)

Smell was floral and friuty, kind of like english IPA.
Taste was grassy, earthy. It was quite refreshing after drinking all these candilike, parfuemy, catpiss IPA-s.
I think i will make whole 20l soon!

I was also not a fan, but it was WAY better than 16th. I couldn't make it through that one.

Agreed. The 16th was a dumper, especially when they had Ruination 10th Anniversary out at the same time. I don't know why they thought tongue-coating "lemon oil" would be good in a beer, but I guess you win some, you lose some.

I know people that routinely dryhop with "Perle". Thats definitely worth trying.
The new German flavor hops (Mandarina Bavaria, Hallertau Blanc, Huell Melon, Polaris) sound better than they actually are. I had a dry-hopped Mandarina-Weizen that did not much taste like "mandarina" at all...

I've also heard that Polaris is not very good at all.

Back