German hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckenzie

Reaction score
I have 5 varieties of hops in my garden . Three of them produce well (nugget , golding , cascade ) the other two not at all.
The tettnanger and the hallertauer only start to take off after the rest have started putting on cones , then it seems too late in the season to ripen the few cones they produce . Is it because they are a German variety with a different climate requirement ? , am I doomed for good German beers ? almost forgot, northern California up buy Oregon border on the coast.

My Tettnang hops don't do well either in southern CA. It sounds opposite, though, as they are always first to take off in my garden, while the other varieties (Cascade, Centennial, Nugget, and Chinook) take off later. This year, I cut back the first growth after May and finally got a little harvest, but it's no comparison to the other varieties. I'm still committed to them because my mom grew up picking hops as a kid in Tettnang, but I am consistently frustrated by their unwillingness to produce like their American cousins. I would think your climate is closer than mine, though, so keep trying. I went three seasons before I actually got cones on the Tettnang, whereas I have other varieties that will put out a a half lb. on their first year.

If it's the first year for the Tettnang, I'd give it another before fretting. I had one plant do well and another was stunted.
Hallertau is doing well, along with Magnum in Northern Oregon.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back