Fuggles hops in a traditional Bock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Couldnt find the hops I wanted to use in my recipe.

I felt Fuggles was the closest. THey didnt have tettnang, Hallertau or many other choices for german hops.

I picked up Northern Brewer but the Alpha Acids were 14% and I read that hops high in alhpa acids can produce flavors that arent desirable in a Bock.

Anyone see any issues with using Fuggles?

14% alpha! For the specs on the hops... Are you sure?

If that is from your recipe software for the amount you are using then just reduce the amount you are using.

Couldnt find the hops I wanted to use in my recipe.

I felt Fuggles was the closest. THey didnt have tettnang, Hallertau or many other choices for german hops.

I picked up Northern Brewer but the Alpha Acids were 14% and I read that hops high in alhpa acids can produce flavors that arent desirable in a Bock.

Anyone see any issues with using Fuggles?
That AA seems WAY too high.

If that is from your recipe software for the amount you are using then just reduce the amount you are using.
That's from the package. Says right on thr hop package 14%

I've got a bunch of citrus hops but they don't fit the style (azzaca, citra, Columbus, centennial, cascade, and cashmere) I might see if I can find another homebrew shop that has halertau, cause that's what I really wanted to use.

That's from the package. Says right on thr hop package 14%
Well I'm curious, because when I look up Fuggles, I'm seeing 2.1 to 6.1 percent alpha acids.

However if that package is also showing the percentage of Cohumulone to the other alpha acids then I can easily understand that. Or maybe it is the total alpha percentage or maybe a misprint from someone thinking the cohumulone ratio to other alphas was the alpha content.

Cohumulone is just one of several alpha acids in hops and probably the important one, but if that percentage is just a percentage of the other alphas, then it needs some math to understand how much is actually being put in the beer.

But I'm just learning of such things since I'm finally modifying recipe hop schedules. So it's quite possible I'm way off.

The 14% was for his northern brewer hops, not the fuggles.

northern brewer hops
Oh... I thought that was where the Fuggles was bought!

Still, online searches are only coming up with 6 -10% on the total alpha's.

Cohumulone is 25-29%, but by my understanding that's the ratio of Cohumulone to other alpha acids.

@Ragman put whatever you want in there, its not going to be a kolsch anyway. I was thinking Apex flavorings has some great ideas for spicing up beer. Check them out. I'm sure you can get then by the time you need. I have a black spruce that might be interesting. Good luck :mug:

Edit: here's the link: Apex Flavors

Edit 2: wrong thread. LOL :ghostly:

Last edited:
For a Bock, you typically are going to use hops for bittering at 60 mins. For a bittering charge, you would have wide flexibility. As you probably will not have later flavor additions, you will be OK.

Last edited:
Back