German Hops cause subtle off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbrewtan

Reaction score
Guys & Gals, just a general "feeler" to see if anyone has noticed anything when using german noble hops (I used Hallertauer) in german-style lagers. I brewed an Altbier and a Helles and both came out good and everyone enjoyed them during our little party.

However, I couldn't help but notice a slight chlorophenol / band-aid flavor in both of those beers that I hadn't noticed with any of my previous brews. It wasn't pungent like an infection would be. It was just... there. And very subtle, almost impossible to pick up when it was cold, but more noticeable after it warmed up a bit.

I seem to remember this just being a characteristic of german noble hops, but can't confirm it on the all-knowing internet. :)

Anyone else heard this?

It's not the German hops. That chlorophenol taste is from chlorine/chloromine in the water used to brew it. Over Sparging & bad sanitation can also cause the band aid & chlorine off flavors. Some yeasts produce more of these phenols than others. Combined with the chlorine/chloromine in the water, it can make these off flavors more pronounced.

I had the pleasure of enjoying an all Hallertau Mittelfrüh IPA brewed by my cousin at a Brewpub in St. Louis a few weeks ago. No off flavors, a very pleasant beer, and a nice change of pace from the West Coast IPAs I was getting used to.

Interesting Dan.
2 years ago I picked up a slight cinnamon flavor in an Altbier and a Vienna lager . The only common ingredient was Hallertau. Last year, the same recipes except for Hersbruker instead of Hallertau had no off-flavor.
Coincidence? IDK.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose my plastic ferm buckets just aren't getting clean anymore. Might be time to upgrade to glass!

Just soak the plastic in water & 3-4 TBSP PBW with the water up to where the top of the vrud line usually is. Give it a day or two, then scrub with a soft cloth & rinse with warm water. Dry & store, or use Starsan to sanitize well before use. That takes care of most things for me.
And sometimes, I've noticed slight " different flavors" with various combinations of malts & hops...possibly other adjuncts.

Back