German hefeweizen gone wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nettekdl

Reaction score
So I recently decided to try my hand at making my first hefe, and likely my last. I wanted a good banana bomb but instead I ended up with something that after 3 weeks in primary tastes like a mix of farts and pretzels with a very tart after taste, and smells like pure s02. Any thoughts on how to save it or should I just dump it?

Recipe was;
7lbs wheat malt
4lbs pilsner malt
mashed at 150 single infusion batch sparge

.75oz hallertau at 60
.25oz hallertau at 5

Fermented with a 1250ml starter of 3068 at 63*f

No reason you shouldn't be able to make a yummy wheat beer with those numbers and that yeast strain fermenting at that fermentation temperature. Clearly something wrong with technique or infection.

I will probably just keg and try it again later, I know this is a pretty high sulphur yeast so I wasn't worried when fermentation smelled so awful (wife made me move ferm chamber outside) but this just seems like I must have finally after two years in may have my first infection it is so rank

Don't dump it. Couple things:
Fermented way too low for a banana bomb. The esters of Hef yeast come out at higher temps. Like 70-75.

The SO2 will fade in time. I've used 3068 and I though I had a sewer leak in my basement when it was fermenting, until I sniffed the airlock. After I kegged it, it was probably another two weeks before the stopped stinking.

Give it time.

I always under pitch my hefes. The over worked yeast produce the esters that we taste as banana, bubbly gum, etc. also as stated earlier, it needs a higher fermentation temp.

Back