German Hallertau IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjones17

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have about 18 ounces of Hallertau hops in my freezer, and I do not have temperature controls for lagering. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has made an IPA using German Hallertau (from Hopsdirect). I have zero experience with this hop.

For other non-lager beers, I have heard its good in wheats or dry Pale Ales. I would really like to mess with this hop a bit, as I tasted a pellet and it was almost spicy?? Definately did not expect it, and given its the hops I have yet to try I think its time.

Cheers :mug:

It would definitely be interesting. I like the taste of Hallertau, blends nicely with hefeweizen like flavors. Maybe make it a RyePA.

At one point Sam Adams did a Hallertau Imperial Pilsner. It was a pretty good focus on how you could build a lot of Hallertau flavor and aroma into a beer. If I were going to make a Hallertau IPA, I would probably use Northern Brewer for bittering and then reserve the Hallertau for late additions and dry hopping. Hallertau.

Well, I suppose the only way I will truly know is if I actually do it. I have a sneaking suspicion it will not go well, given the lack of similar recipes I am seeing around. I think I will go hard, and use 4-6 ounces in the aroma/flavoring stage. I do not have any northern, but I am using Green Bullet as my bittering hop and I find it works very well. My malt bill will be fairly simple, to showcase the hops. I will keep it dry with low mash temps, but I may add about 20% wheat malt and use a step mash for a good malt profile with some 2-row.

Did you ever go through with this. I made an ale with northern brewer and German Hallertau for flameout/dry hop. It has kind of an apple like taste at 2 weeks in the fermenter, wondering if you had the same thing.

That's funny. I am making an IPA tonight and the local brew store ran out of East Kent Golding so I bought Hallertauer instead. I figure the Hallertauer is a quality hop, so why not. Actually, I've been wondering why you can't use German hops in English ales. You might stumble onto something pretty good.

Back