GERMAN ALT BIER recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't post recipe or ingredients there but Alts more hoppier than 25 IBUs I think. I made Altbier #2 from recipe database and it was really good. I think its around 40 IBUs and really clean. There is plenty of good Alt recipes on this forum

Couple questions with that recipe. How long are you fermenting? 4 weeks or more? It seems many Alt Biers age for 2-3 months...? Also what does the gelatin do for the beer? Thanks

I ferment until it's done, I don't just leave every beer in the primary for a month. Probably 2 weeks for this beer. I then keg and condition, there's no hard fast rules for conditioning. This isn't a big beer and can be good early on. Gelatin is for clearing the beer, a totally unnecessary step, if you don't want to mess with it. Most beers will clear just fine with age.

_

Couple questions with that recipe. How long are you fermenting? 4 weeks or more? It seems many Alt Biers age for 2-3 months...? Also what does the gelatin do for the beer? Thanks

I fermented for one week, did a one-day diacetyl rest, racked to secondary adding the gelatin, and then fermented for two more weeks before kegging. The beer would not suffer from a bit of aging, but it's already *delicious.*

The gelatin is used as finings - I'm not sure on the chemical details, but it causes a hazy beer to drop clear. One packet in a five gallon batch is quite sufficient. It's useful for this beer because 1007 is a low-flocculating yeast, so even if you just gave it some time (which gets the desired results for most brews) it would still have a hint of haze. (I also throw in gelatin for other styles with low or even medium-flocculating yeasts If I want to be absolutely sure my beer will have a brilliant clarity to it, such as for an American pale ale.)

I ferment until it's done, I don't just leave every beer in the primary for a month.

I've found that a one-week primary for beers I expect to go fast and two weeks for the slowpokes, followed by racking to secondary until it's done, works marvelously. (Two weeks is a typical secondary fermentation time for me, and the alt happened to hit it on the nose.)

Back