General Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
I know there are lots of different recipes that use various types of yeast, but is there a yeast that can or would make for an all around yeast that can work for different recipes? Assuming that im staying within an ale style beer

The reason why I'm asking is because I like the idea of washing yeast, but I'd rather not have a fridge chaulked right full of different yeasts, rather have it down to just a few

Dirk7728 said:
I know there are lots of different recipes that use various types of yeast, but is there a yeast that can or would make for an all around yeast that can work for different recipes? Assuming that im staying within an ale style beer

The reason why I'm asking is because I like the idea of washing yeast, but I'd rather not have a fridge chaulked right full of different yeasts, rather have it down to just a few

I have come to use WY1056 as an all around ale yeast. It finishes clean, rated for medium flocculation and has a pretty tolerant temperature range to work in.

WLP862 - Cry Havoc is Charlie P.'s go to all around yeast.

Good for both ales and lagers.

The last couple of brews I did I used wyeast 1332. I plan to wash that yeast, but like I said, I want a few yeasts, not a whole fridge full. Thanks guys

Most if my first several brews were nottingham, and there's a lot to like about that strain, but I'm open to other styles.

I'm a n00b. I understand that some people prefer a more esterous profile. I mostly prefer clean brews, but I did try a belgian strong golden with trappist high gravity, and the two i currently have in primaries are pacman and kolsch respectively.

i've used cali lager and kolsch yeasts for quite a few different styles with good results
us-05 of course, too

US-05, WLP001, WY1056 all the same "Chico" strain. Versatile for most ales. Can even get some good esters at higher temps. I have several jars of washed chico in the fridge.

Safale us-05 cheap and effective. Everything I've made with it turned out great and can be used for most any ale style. It's my go to yeast unless i spring for whitw.

Safale us-05 cheap and effective. Everything I've made with it turned out great and can probably be used for almost any ale style. It's my go to yeast unless i spring for some whitelabs.

Latest posts

Back