Geltain amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punity

Reaction score
Ive searched through looking at how to use gelatin however im stuck on how much i need to use. Im doing a 60 gallon batch tomorrow and cant for the life of me figure out how much i need. i usually use irish mosh however brew shop was all out so im on to plan B.

You don't use gelatin until the beer is finished and ready to package so you have plenty of time. BTW Irish moss and gelatin do two different things, although both are fining agents. One pack of store-bought Knox unflavored will easily do three five gallon carboys. If your 60 gallons will be in larger vessels you can probably scale that ratio back a bit.

Yea I read it was after everything was done. The guy I was brewing with was able to round up some irish moss so we think it'll be alright but the gelatin is on standby I guess if we are feeling frisky

You should use Irish moss or Whirlfloc during the boil. I use 1/4tsp of Irish moss in 5 gallons (1/2tsp in 10 gallon), so 3tsp (1tbsp) of irish moss should be the proper amount. Or use 6 whirlfloc tabs.

Those are kettle finings. They only work when added during the boil. They both aid in coagulating and precipitating proteins in the wort. Gelatin won't help if you don't add these.

Gelatin is a cold-side fining. Like Biofine or isinglass. You add these post fermentation. I use 1tsp of gelatin in 5 gallon. that's 4TBSP in 60 gallons. These will drop out yeast, and other cold side haze. They won't drop out chill haze that's formed from protein complexes (i.e. the haze that irish moss prevents).

Long story: Buy some whirlfloc or irish moss. It really helps make beer clearer.

yea we got the moss in so we will just have to wait for the gelatin. and from what im reading a cold crash is also needed to utilize the gelatin properly

Latest posts

Back